5

Douchebag of the Week: “Our opponent, though, is someone who sees America, it seems, as being so imperfect that he’s palling around with terrorists who would target their own country,” said Sarah Palin, apparently keeping her boxing gloves on after taking a beating from Senator Joseph Biden (of all people) in the recent vice presidential debate. The comment was directed toward Senator Barack Obama’s relationship with William Ayers, a former member of the Weathermen, a radical group that bombed various buildings throughout the 1970s. However, what Palin failed to mention is that the biggest connection between the two is that they were both members of an obscure anti-poverty group, the Woods Fund of Chicago, several years ago and before Obama was elected to the Senate. In addition, Obama was about eight years old during the Weathermen bombings, so it is hardly convincing that Obama and Ayers are BFFs trying to bring down the United States government.
Creativity in Mudslinging Award: “The extent of the use of these private e-mail accounts demonstrates the extent of deception that the governor is operating under,” said Andrée McLeod, a former employee of the state of Alaska who had once worked closely with Sarah Palin. According to McLeod, during her tenure as governor Palin often opted to use two private e-mail addresses rather than her state e-mail address, which McLeod alleges is allowing her to take part in a “culture of corruption.” Yes, instead of attacking Palin for her inexperience, ability to get lost in the most simplistic of questions or any number of other perfectly good reasons to go after the VP candidate, McLeod went after Palin for refusing to open her spam box to the public. Let’s just hope that McLeod stays away from the Pandora’s Box that is Palin’s text messaging records.
Hypocritical and Proud of it: “I don’t think there is a graver crime than supplying arms to a conflict zone,” said Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin in regard to Ukraine’s alleged involvement in supplying Georgia with weapons to defend themselves from a Russian onslaught. Okay, maybe in theory Putin’s words are on point. However, the same cannot be said about the source. After all, this is the current Prime Minister of Russia we are talking about. Yes, the same Russia that sold missiles to Iran as recently as three years ago. And when one thinks of conflict free zones, one certainly thinks of the Middle East.
Self-Explanatory Bonus Quote: “[It was] pretty smart of Biden to invoke Dick Cheney. Cheney is downright toxic. The focus group of Missouri working class voters that I was at this morning had the harshest things to say about Cheney—all 12 of them, including seven Bush voters,” wrote Domenico Montanaro, an NBC political researcher in a recent online posting about Sen. Biden’s vice presidential debate performance.