Irvine Weathers the Sudden Heat

3
3

The city of Irvine roasted earlier this past week with an impromptu visit from the sun’s hottest rays. Reaching as high as 85 degrees last Sunday, Jan. 18, the entire week sustained a constant summertime temperature. On Thursday, however, the weather started to cool down to a light 64-degree drizzle.
Many students took advantage of this break from their coats by spending the day at Newport Coast.
“I love going to the beach as much as possible,” said Janine Stein, a third-year biological sciences major. “I try to go as much as possible since Southern California has such great weather.”
Amrit Dhaliwal, a first-year political science major, disagreed because she likes to be in cooler weather during the wintertime.
“I wanted to go back home to [Fresno, California] because it was so much nicer there.” Dhaliwal was also worried that “the world’s going to get worse [from global warming], but hopefully it’s not going to get too terrible because I don’t want to suffer.”
Professor Robert Fovell, who specializes in the study of meteorology at UCLA, stated that the Santa Ana winds caused this week’s startling weather changes. The intensity of the dry air, mixed with Nevada’s overwhelming heat, pushed higher temperatures toward Southern California cities, like Irvine and Los Angeles.
“We should expect to see a few small fires in the coming months,” said a member of the Orange County chapter of the American Red Cross. “We prepare for a response to these weather changes before anything can get too serious.”
Fovell also observed that this process occurs throughout fall and winter of each year, beginning in September in Southern California.
“The heat felt good to me, because I personally don’t like the rain. But I worry, because if it’s like this next year, then I feel like global warming is taking a more realistic role in our lives,” said Yuliana Sanchez, a first-year business economics major.
The predicted forecast for this week is an average of 65 degrees, with showers until Tuesday. The weather conditions will start to get better on Wednesday, with an average of a cool 70 degrees and lots of Californian sun.
“For me, it didn’t really matter because I’ve been a SoCal resident all my life. I love the rain so I do miss the cold weather, but I’m so used to it always being hot in California,” said Carla Velazquez, a first-year psychology and social behavior major. “I loved the rain on Thursday. I missed having rainy days; it felt good.”