No Air Under This Media Umbrella -ella-ella eh eh eh…

2
2

If there was one story that has dominated the news more than it should have over the last few weeks, it was Chris Brown’s assault on his girlfriend, Rihanna.
More than the crisis in Darfur, the conflict in Israel-Palestine and even the effects of our own suffering economy, the Chris Brown-Rihanna saga has engulfed America.
Sure, it took a two-day break when Jason Mesnick, the “Bachelor,” dumped his fiancée after six weeks and went for runner-up fiancée in a matter of minutes. The Brown-Rihanna topic received another injection when the two were spotted together in Burbank three weeks after their violent argument.
It is fascinating how enamored the public is with celebrity lives. As soon as the news of Brown beating Rihanna hit the airwaves, it spread to everyone. Facebook statuses, text messages, MTV and “People” caught a flood of popular interest.
However, it is neither a crime nor a surprise for one to be shocked and somewhat passionate about the subject. They were the power teen couple of the music industry. Brown, 19, and Rihanna, 21, symbolized the innocent, do-no-wrong couple. With his wide, contagious smile and charm, Brown was the least likely candidate to beat his significant other, which made it that much more surprising.
While the surprise and attention that the news received was legitimate, I was bothered by how blindly passionate people nowhere near involved became.
For one, people were outraged by Brown’s reaction. Now, I agree that it was wrong for Brown to assault her, but it is also a crime to be too quick to judge. No one really knows what went on between them. There has been speculation that Rihanna read a text sent to Brown from another female suggesting a meeting, but what kind of reason is that to warrant a beating? We may never really know what happened.
After all it would be outrageous to say that Rihanna did nothing. In my opinion, unless Brown is completely crazy, Rihanna must have done something for him to flip such a switch. We may never really know what that was, if anything.
And that is exactly my point. These people live in a different world. Their lives don’t involve worrying about school and work. What kind of couple has the opportunity to vacation in Mexico and have the paparazzi follow their every move?
It would be tough for us to comprehend the things that go on in their lives simply because we cannot relate.
That is why I am calling it egregious to be too quick to judge what is going on in this wild feud. The story is just crazy.
Brown hasn’t really issued a real statement to the public, but did release a statement apologizing for his actions. We have not really heard anything from Rihanna, but now we see them back together.
Fan forums and message boards are going crazy with public opinions. Brown is getting the deserved criticism for putting Rihanna in disturbia, and Rihanna is getting nailed to the wall for being weak and going back to him. These are private issues and should be dealt with internally and they should approach the public when they are ready.
Unfortunately with the prowess of tabloid media and pop culture infatuation, the silence fosters more and more negative reactions from the public. Since their careers rely on public appeal, they should release some sort of indication and update on their situation or else they will get no air.
Lame, I know.
As a result, Brown’s career may very well be over. His main audience is young females, and he beat one. His talents as a singer, actor and dancer built his image as a harmless entertainer, but now his mistake might kill his appeal. However, we have seen Hollywood forgive drug abusers and even crazy people (see Robert Downey Jr. and Britney Spears). But will forgiveness be granted to a 19-year-old caught in the mad world?
These people whom we look at like gods corrupt us and distract us from the more important and beneficial things in life. For some reason, their exceptional talents in entertainment make their personal lives subject to our interest and judgment, especially when we only see it from a filtered lens. These people are, as US Weekly describes it, “just like us,” which is to say not without fault.
We see these humans as if they are gods, but when they make one mistake they become the devil.