2

Law School Third Most Selective in Nation Ahead of Yale and Stanford

The UC Irvine School of Law will get off to a strong start by welcoming an extremely competitive inaugural class of 68 students for the 2009-10 school year. The school received over 2,700 applicants, bringing the acceptance figure to 4 percent.

This statistic makes UCI Law the most competitive school in the nation. As a point of reference, the extremely competitive Yale Law School accepts 7 percent of applicants, while Stanford Law School accepts 9 percent.

The UCI Law School’s incoming class has a median grade point average of 3.67 and a median LSAT score of 167. This puts Irvine directly on par with top-20 law schools like UC Berkeley, UCLA and the University of Southern California.

Certainly a contributing factor to the competition in admission is the offer of free tuition for all three years of schooling for the inaugural class at UCI.

The law school’s successful start provides a firm foundation and bodes well for the future of the school.

UCI Medical Center No Longer Threatened to Lose Funding

Last year, UC Irvine Medical Center suffered a blow to its reputation and risked losing federal funding when it was discovered that anesthesiology records were filled out in advance of surgeries.

New interim Chief Executive Officer Terry Belmont vowed to make the required corrections and get the medical center back on track.

The installation of new software to make the pre-filling out of forms impossible came with a $3 million price tag. While expensive, the software helped the center battle its injured reputation.

In a follow-up inspection last month, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services found that the hospital now meets the federal standards for receipt of aid.

Campus Assault Resources Education Holds Awareness Week

This past Tuesday and Friday, UC Irvine CARE held T-shirt making sessions for The Clothesline Project, one of their upcoming awareness events this week.

The Clothesline Project will be held April 20 to 22, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Gateway Plaza. The project consists of a display of T-shirts made by survivors of sexual assaults and by their loved ones.

Denim Day USA was inspired by a court case in which a rape victim lost a conviction on her assailant on account of her wearing jeans. Participants will wear jeans on Wednesday April 22 in support of victims of sexual violence.

Finally, the group will hold Take Back the Night on Wednesday evening at 7 p.m. There will be a candlelight vigil and a march at the UCI flagpoles to raise further awareness about sexual violence.