2
By Emily Ling
By Emily Ling

Yes, it’s true – winter is around the corner and the entire Editorial Board is frightened for all of you here in Southern California.

With the coming of the first rain, SoCal residents are freaking the eff out. In some parts of Orange County, the rainfall from the West Pacific storm topped out at about an inch, but around Irvine it was just about half that amount.

Woah, woah. Hallelujah for sandbags and floodgates – that was a close one. The storm may be over but impending doom remains: The rains shall return! (Eventually.)

Precipitation not only ruined hairstyles and took away sun-time at the beach, it also brought an apocalypse to the freeways. Sigalerts covered the 5, 57 and 91 pretty much all of Wednesday morning. By 8a.m., California Highway Patrol recorded around 150 incidents on OC freeways. The accident totals was expected to be well above the average.

But the rain doesn’t stop there; no, this beast is an efficient one. Rain ruins all aspects of one’s day – not just the commute.

Rain has managed to invade the online world as well: Facebook statuses and Twitter updates were rampant with complaints about the intense precipitation.

From “FUCK RAIN” to “I honestly hate rain, it messes up my entire day,” updates ranged from raging anger to slightly irked.

One status boasted, “If this rain continues I will seriously flip a shit at the universe,” while another was more docile, reading: “Really? Really, clouds? Okay. Off to class.”

Other students remained calm and collected. One UC Irvine student’s Facebook read, quite simply, “Damn. It’s raining.” One day later, after the flood of Biblical proportions had ceased, he let the world know: “Yes, no more rain.” Good call, sir.

To add more panic to the situation at hand, The Climate Prediction Center says another El Niño is on the way, which could spell serious disaster for Southern California. We’re talking up to 6 inches of rain.

Even Dave Pierce, a climate researcher at UC San Diego’s Scripps Institution of Oceanography, acknowledges the impending doom.

“There are no guarantees, but we’re unlikely to have another dry winter,” he said in a recent interview with the North County Times.

This terrifying news will come as a shock to many, and is sure to wreak havoc on the well-being and overall dryness of our area.

“I mean, I’m scared, I’m not going to lie. I’m really scared. I know that we need this rain because we’re in a drought, but seriously. Six inches? Too much. I know a lot of people who aren’t going to be happy about this,” said Liz Lang.

Needless to say, we’re a little worried.

Whether your response to rainstorms is to ditch class, purchase a new wardrobe, or drive like an idiot, your safety (and ours) is a top priority. We’ve all taken driver’s ed, but, judging by the recent series of freeway fiascos, the editorial board wants to dedicate just a bit of time to helping you deal.

First, we understand the emotional turmoil you must be experiencing upon realizing that Southern California does, in fact have some semblance of seasons. Yes, my thin-blooded friends, it’s true. Rain exists in paradise and sometimes the temperature even dips below seventy.

Next comes the car. If your tires are balding or you’ve somehow forgotten what windshield wipers do, now is the time to hit the shop.

Driving in the rain is generally not the time to be texting and if your windows are constantly fogging up, you should seriously look into taking a bottle of Windex to the interior.

From there, the speed you’re able to drive is pretty much directly related to your tires – it’ll affect your acceleration, braking and turning. If it’s raining and you’re driving with worn out tires, you’re pretty much asking for some shit to go down.

If you feel like you still can’t handle that, then take the bus.

For those of you who are entirely inept at driving in the rain and absolutely can’t avoid getting in a car – there’s still hope. It’s till not too late to get prepped for rain-weather.

So, seriously, stop freaking out, buy some galoshes and change your windshield wipers. And, if necessary, start practicing your driving skills.

We’ll be here with you while you frantically flip through your tank tops and denim short shorts in desperate search of pants; We’ll be there to hold your hand while you sob through closeting your Rainbows; And yes, we’ll be there to guide you through opening an umbrella for the first time.

Truthfully, all this emotional turmoil will be worth it in the end. And, hey, look at it this way; when the next rain comes, at least you’ll be ready for it.

Please send comments to newuopinion@gmail.com. Include your name, year and major.