7

New Dean Chosen for Claire Trevor School of the Arts

Claire Trevor School of the Arts has named Joseph S. Lewis III as its new dean to be effective on March 24, 2010.

Prior to his arrival at UCI, Lewis had been the dean of the School of Art and Design at Alfred University in New York and was also the former dean of the School of Art and Design at the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City.

He received his Bachelor’s degree from Hamilton College in New York and his Master of Fine Arts from Maryland Institute, College of Art.

His works have be featured in exhibitions that include, but are not limited to, Smithsonian Institution, Los Angeles County Museum of Art and the Museum of Arts and Design.

Lewis has also written articles and given lectures on topics about art. His appointment to the position of dean is warmly welcomed and highly anticipated for this coming year.

Yudof to Release a Statement on Friday About Financial Aid

Following the group interview conducted with President of the University of California, Mark Yudof, by the student media from several southern California UC campuses, Yudof announced that he will release a public statement regarding financial aid on Friday, Oct. 23, 2009.

Yudof revealed that both an expansion in the number of students who qualify for the Blue and Gold Opportunity Plan and an increase in the amount of money available for scholarships are to be anticipated.

However, he never directly mentioned the negative impacts this would have on the student population. A raise in tuition still lurks just around the corner.

CALPIRG Forum Held to Discuss Ocean Wildlife

UC Irvine’s CALPIRG (California Public Interest Research Group) students will be attending the Long Beach Public Hearing, a public forum where individuals are invited to put their two cents in about Proposal 3 before Marine Life Protected Area lines are finalized and drawn. Proposal 3, a lengthy document in which the protection levels of various wetlands are analyzed and new levels have been presented.

CALPIRG plans on giving their firm opinions at the forum, and intend on wholeheartedly backing up the protection of various specific locations. The organization stands on the basis of defending the ocean’s wildlife that students love and care for so much, according to a statement released by the organization.

The Long Beach Public Hearing will be on Wednesday, Oct. 21, at 7 p.m. Its location will be at the Hilton Long Beach, 701 West Ocean Blvd. Visit www.calpirgstudents.org for more information.

Students at UC Santa Cruz Sprayed by Police for Sit-in

Outraged students at the University of California, Santa Cruz met violent police opposition during a protest in which the former stormed their Humanities and Social Sciences buildings. Frustrated with the constant budget cuts, lack of compassion from the University of California and the compromised education being given, the students occupied the buildings with the intention to obstruct Dean Sheldon Kamienecki’s workplace.

Police cruelly sprayed mace on the students, failing to warn them beforehand. After saying, “hey folks, let’s go, this is vandalism,” officers proceeded to mace the entire group. To add insult to injury, officials arrested students without reading them their Miranda Rights beforehand. This violation of fifth amendment rights angered many parties involved, and the students of Santa Cruz released a statement the next day in response.

Students described their intentions for the protest, while also noting the difficulties most have been experiencing. They also scrutinized the University of California, making large claims against the educational powerhouse.

“The University of California has already been securitized, ensuring that none of us have a future within this system,” read one particularly cutting line of the treatise.

Negotiations have yet to be solidified, but UCSC and its students continue to try and work together to achieve some sort of middle ground.