4

Students Prepare to Protest Against Tuition On Tues.

In response to the Board of Regents’ decision to approve the proposal to raise student’s tuition by 32 percent, students are coming together to rally in front of Aldrich Hall.

The event is to take place on Tuesday, November 24 from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.

At the event, students who are affected by the raise in tuition will speak out while others will discuss what directions they should take next in response to all recent happenings.

Students are asked to wear black to the event in conjunction with the event’s subheading: “funeral for higher education.”

UCI Psychology Professors Study Obama’s Race Factor

When it comes to President Barack Obama, the topic of race has been a constant, underlying issue lurking beneath the surface.

Questions of prejudice and bigotry have led Eric Knowles, assistant professor of psychology and social behavior, to conduct a study that explores the implications of potentially racially charged opposition to Obama’s projected health care reform.

Knowles and his team preformed a series of tests that proved subtle racism among those involved in the study.

Subjects were given two identical healthcare proposals, one labeled as being by the Clinton Administration, the other labeled as being by the Obama Administration.

Participants that were previously determined to be biased were more likely to support the proposal attributed to Clinton rather than to Obama.

“We show that Obama’s race — not just the ideological character of his policies — is a factor in some of the opposition to his proposals,” Knowles said in an interview with Laura Rico of University Communications.

The study has been published in the current issue of the “Journal of Experimental Social Psychology” and further research concerning President Obama’s racial category and American support will presumably continue.

Phi Kappa Psi Collects Blankets For Fire Victims

Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity held a philanthropy event last week in order to collect stuffed animals and blankets for Southern California fire victims. Collecting almost 300 stuffed animals or blankets, the fraternity had help from over 8 Greek Chapters on campus and everyone who donated received free Chronic Tacos.

“The main goal was to be able to help these kids and ease their troubles in the event that disaster does strike,” said Phi Kappa Psi president Paul Riscalla. “This cause really hit home with a lot of brothers and other Greeks and allowed us to have such a high turnout and successful day.”