41

Men’s Golf

UCI men’s golf finished fifth out of a 15 team field at the Nick Watney Invitational this week at San Joaquin Country Club amid a slew of Big West competitors as well as out-of-state visitors Nevada, BYU and Columbia.

The ‘Eaters shot for par on the final day with a score of 284 on the par-71 course in Fresno, for an 861 total over 54 holes, while BYU finished first at 853.

Junior David Kim finished fifth with a three round total of 211, three off medalist Perry Cohen of Saint Mary’s who shot 208.

Fellow junior Jonathan Young placed 10th with an even-par score of 213 over 54 holes.

The ‘Eaters’ next tournament will be the Bill Cullum Invitational at the Wood Ranch Golf Club in Simi Valley from October 17-18.

Women’s Golf

Despite sitting atop the leaderboard after Day 1, UCI women’s golf finished 5th out of 10 in the NMSU Aggie Invitational at the New Mexico State Golf Course this past week.

Host New Mexico State claimed the top spot with a 3-day score of 894, ahead of UCI’s 914 total.

Junior Camille Wagg posted a career-low 223, good for fifth place overall including a field-leading 4.67 average on par 5s.

The ‘Eaters completes their fall slate at the Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown from October 23-25.

Men’s Tennis

No. 79 Junior Sebastian Heim competed at the ITA Men’s All-American Championships this past week at the University of Tulsa’s Michael D. Case Tennis Center, advancing to the second round after prevailing over No. 118 Sameer Kumar of Stanford. After an injury plagued summer, this was Heim’s first match back healthy after missing the end of last season. The next day, Heim fell to 110th-ranked Adam Moundir of Old Dominion.

The ‘Eaters then traveled to San Diego State for their Fall Invitational at Aztec Tennis Center from Friday through Sunday. The UCI duo of sophomore Luis Lopez and junior Lucas Marquard were able to take home the Flight 1 doubles consolation championship, defeating Justin Cvitanovic and Valentin Lang of Grand Canyon University 8-4. Freshman Moritz Geis made it all the way to the Flight 1 singles final before falling to future champion GCU’s Lorenzo Fucile.

Women’s Tennis

Junior Ashlynn Hall and freshman Jacqueline Tsodikova represented the ‘Eaters at Long Beach State for the Beach Fall Tournament at Rhodes Tennis Center from October 7-9.

On Friday, Hall knocked off Portland’s Tatiana Grigoryan in straight sets 6-4, 7-5 in Flight B, while Tsodikova overcome a first set loss against Grand Canyon’s Mya Etienne to earn the win in Flight C, 5-7, 7-5, 6-4. Despite the singles success, the duo dropped a pair of doubles matches in Flight A.

Hall and Tsodikova fell short in the quarterfinals of their respective single flights on Saturday, but returned to notch an extra match doubles win on Sunday over Portland State’s Ashley Knecht and CSUN’s Lisa Nosenko 7-6 (8). Hall withdrew from her extra singles match while Tsodikova dropped a hard-fought three-set match to Eastern Washington’s Valentina Sottile.

Women’s Volleyball

UCI women’s volleyball had a disappointing start to their road trip this week, registering a loss via sweep to conference foe Cal Poly, but rebounded with a 3-1 win at UC Riverside.

Cal Poly

The ‘Eaters were outhit .137 to .422 against the Mustangs, and could not seem to gain any offensive momentum early.

Senior Victoria Dennis paced the ‘Eaters with nine kills, and senior Shelley Anderson notched 22 set assists to go along with a team high eight digs and five kills of her own.

Meanwhile, Cal Poly’s Raeann Griesen posted a .700 hit percentage and 15 kills to lead the Mustangs.

The ‘Eaters failed to score higher than 13 points in the first two sets before coming to life in the third, tying the score at 18 late in the set, though Cal Poly was able to close it out 25-23.

UCR

After dropping the first set, UCI stormed back to take the match 3-1 at UC Riverside on Saturday.

Four ‘Eaters were able to post double digit kills, with Harlee Kekauoha leading the way with 17 as they outhit their opponent .276 to .160.

UCI fell behind 1-0 in a heartbreaking first set 28-26, but stayed firm in tightly contested second and third sets to take the lead 2-1.

A 12-0 run in the fourth set solidified the win for the ‘Eaters, finishing 25-17 to clinch the 3-1 win.

UCI completes their road trip at No. 12 Hawaii next Friday October 14th.