92

S.P.V.S

Category:
Academic

Contact: Kristen Geiger or Jessica Raney

Email: spvs@spirit.dos.uci.edu

Member count: 23

Purpose: Dedicated to helping pre-veterinary students gather information about undergraduate requirements, applying to vet schools and careers in the veterinary field.

Meetings: Wednesdays at 5 p.m. in Rowland Hall 108. Members are informed of when meetings are held as they do not occur every week. The first meeting will be held on Oct. 1.

Why join this club?
‘I think it is something different on campus,’ said Jessica Raney, fourth-year biology major and co-president of the Society of Pre-Veterinary Students.
According to Raney, the club differs from other clubs on campus because it is one of the few science-based clubs that is not geared towards medical school.
‘There are so many med school clubs on campus and not everyone is [going to] med school,’ Raney said.
Kristen Geiger, fourth-year neurobiology major and co-president of SPVS, said that pre-veterinary students can benefit from this club because the veterinary field is relatively unknown to UCI
students.
‘We are hoping that we can give information and help students who are lost,’ Geiger said.

What are your goals for the club?
‘We want to grow,’ Geiger said. ‘And get a pre-vet presence on campus because there is none.’
Raney said her goal for the club centers on showing students an alternative path in the medical field.
‘[We] want to show people here that there are other things you can do, which is great.’ Raney said.