120

International Politics Oversimplified
If only international politics were as simple as described in ‘Violence and the Liberals Who Deal With Them.’ Comparing the United States to ‘a women reaching for a knife and stabbing her rapist’ and a nation like Iraq as the rapist is absurd.
Terrorists and other American enemies can use the same shallow reasoning by referring to the United States ‘violent actions’ in the middle east and other parts of the world in decades of war crimes, economic sanctions and violations of international law.
The they-started-it-first mentality should be left at the kindergarten playground.
The article’s shortsighted reasoning is exactly the type that feeds endless violence.
Michael Twardos
Fourth Year
Physics graduate student
Bush Packaging War, Not Liberals Packaging Violence
Bach Ho’s assertion that liberals have packaged terrorism and anti-terrorism as violence in order to condemn it misreads and oversimplifies the happenings of the past two years.
The allegory of the woman and her assailant describes a simple act of self-defense, while the very strength of terrorists lies in their elusiveness.
We cannot hold the Sept. 11 terrorists responsible for their actions as the rapist is in Ho’s commentary because they are dead.
The liberal critique of the war in Iraq is based not on an inherent bias against violence, but on the knowledge that our attack was based on misleads and falsely represented intelligence.
The majority of Americans still believe that Saddam Hussein was complicit in the attacks of Sept. 11 although it was clear before the war and even clearer now that he was not.
President Bush has packaged his own agenda for war in Iraq together with the Sept. 11 attacks, not the liberals.
In fact, the liberals are trying to make our government accountable for the very oversimplification that Ho believes they espouse.
The task of the Democratic Party is to ask the nation to be more thoughtful and less prone to oversimplification in our response to terrorism.
The path we have embarked upon may lead to more terrorism rather than less.
Christopher Hood
Second Year
Fine arts graduate student