178

The newly renovated and relocated Carlos Prietto Sports Medicine Center will host an open house on Sept. 17 at 5 p.m.
The facility is named after and dedicated to orthopedic physician Dr. Carlos Prietto, who not only provided sufficient funding for the center but is also the head team physician for UC Irvine athletics.
Prietto plays a vital role in UCI’s athletic department and campus. He graduated from the UCI College of Medicine in 1973 and for the past 17 years has been UCI’s team physician to student athletes.
He is well-known and acknowledged throughout Orange County as an instrumental orthopedic physician. Prietto recently received high accolades in Orange Coast Magazine and provided services to several other teams within Southern California, including Garden Grove High School and Tustin High School.
Mike Burns, an assistant athletic trainer with the sports medicine program, said the concept of renovating the center has ‘been going on for at least four years.’
Financially, the restoration of the center was put on hold for some time until ‘Dr. Prietto came and funded it,’ Burns said.
The new facility moved from the bottom to the top floor of Crawford Hall, where the availability of space drastically increased from 1,500 to 5,000 square feet.
The revitalization of the center is part of the greater construction efforts to renovate Crawford Hall.
The area of the newly relocated center is ‘three to four times’ longer than what it used to be on the bottom floor, Burns said.
According to Burns, the old sports medicine room is expected to house a refurbished weight room.
The new training room center is greater in distance and area. This allows better mobility and accommodation for the staff, which includes nine staff athletic trainers, our athletic training interns and 19 to 22 student athletic trainers.