Child Development Center Unaffected, Says Official

290
290

According to university officials, everything is normal at UCI’s Child Development Center less than a month after Daniel T. Flynn, an employee, was charged for attempting to acquire child pornography from an undercover postal inspector.
Flynn, 38, an employee of the Irvine Unified School District’s Child Development Center at UCI, was charged on Sept. 25 and resigned from the center the following day.
According to James Cohen, director of Media Relations at UCI, Flynn’s arrest has not affected business at the center.
‘As for how his arrest has affected operations at the Child Development Center, not really at all. All is normal. Classes are full, and attendance is the same,’ Cohen said.
As an employee at the Child Development Center, Flynn was responsible for educating children who continually suffered from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
According to Cohen, Flynn’s actions did not put any of the children in danger.
‘There was never any indication the welfare of the children was ever affected by this matter, nor was there ever any concern about the center itself, which remains an acclaimed development center for children with ADHD,’ Cohen said.
Flynn has worked with children in the Child Development Center program for more than a decade.
He has had no previous criminal record and was subject to the background checks and fingerprinting that are mandated by the laws of the state in order for people to work with children.
The Child Development Center is jointly managed by the Irvine Unified School District and the University of California, Irvine.
The center specializes in treating children who suffer from ADHD as well as other adolescent diseases affecting the brain and behavior.
The center offers both an outpatient treatment clinic and a day to day education-based program.
An investigation of Flynn began in March 2003 when Flynn came into contact with an undercover postal worker via the Internet.
He intended to purchase a video tape. The tape, entitled ‘Boys and Uncles,’ depicted 10-year-old and 13-year-old boys engaged in graphic sexual activity.
The tape included a description that said, ‘three very young boys, 10 to 13, masturbate and then get fucked by their uncle.’
On May 16, postal workers delivered the half-hour tape which Flynn paid $30 for.
On May 17 he was given administrative leave and was denied access to all of the Child Development Center facilities.
Flynn resigned from his position on Sept. 26.
‘The federal law enforcement community takes crimes against children very seriously. The U.S. attorney’s office is committed to aggressively prosecuting these types of offenses,’ said Richard Y. Lee, the federal prosecutor in charge of the case.
Court documents dated Sept. 25 show that Flynn intends to file a guilty plea.
According to Lee, Flynn has agreed to plead guilty to one count of receiving child pornography.
Flynn appeared in federal court on Oct. 6 and his next court appearance is scheduled for Nov. 8.
Flynn faces up to 15 years in prison and registration as a sex offender.