Main Library Renamed for Newport Beach Entrepreneur

The Main Library was officially renamed the Jack Langson Library on Oct. 16 in recognition of a gift donated by the Orange County-based real estate entrepreneur.
A dedication ceremony was held outside the library and featured speeches given by Jack Langson, Chancellor Ralph Cicerone and University Librarian Gerald Munoff.
In attendance were students, faculty, members of the Langson family and executive members of the Irvine Company.
Langson donated an undisclosed amount of money to create the Langson Library Fund and the Langson Library Endowed Fund. The gift will be distributed over several years, and will be used to make interior renovations and expand the library’s holdings.
According to Munoff, Langson’s donation far exceeds the next largest contribution ever made to the library, which was formerly between $750,000 and $1 million.
In his speech, Langson stressed the importance of the library as a permanent place for students, faculty and community members to gather.
‘The library is a good symbol of the mission of the university in its entirety,’ Langson said. ‘It is a privilege for my family to support the UCI library.’
Langson mentioned the importance of his family in his decision to donate to the library.
Langston explained, ‘[The donation] is to encourage the younger members of the Langson family to participate in causes beyond self.’
Langson has been involved with UCI as a benefactor for the past 10 years, and decided to pledge his donation after discussions with Munoff.
Langson and Munoff agreed that the library served an important role on campus as the main center for intellectual gathering.
‘In celebrating the naming of the library we’re also celebrating the highest ideals and aspirations of the university,’ Munoff said.
Langson is the president and owner of Investment Building Group, a real estate development company. He graduated from Anaheim High School, received his bachelor’s degree in business administration from the University of Southern California and received his second degree, an MBA, from Harvard University.
Campus reaction to Langson’s gift has been overwhelmingly positive; however, reaction to the renaming of the library has been more ambiguous.
‘It’s good that [Langson] is supporting our school, but renaming the library is going to confuse a lot of people,’ said Mario Legaspi, a third-year biological sciences major.
Still others believe that renaming the school will benefit the campus environment.
‘I think it’s great that we’re naming the library