103

Bicyclist Hit and Killed in Collison
On Oct. 21 a vehicle traveling southbound on Culver Drive collided with the rear of a bicyclist, also traveling southbound on Culver.
At approximately 10:45 a.m., the Irvine Police Department responded to a report of a traffic collision on Culver Drive between Campus Drive and Bonita Canyon Road.
UCI alum Douglas Edward Lowe, 46, was transported to Irvine Regional Hospital where he passed away from his injuries at approximately 11:26 a.m.
Javier Valle, 23, was the driver of the vehicle and did not sustain any injuries. The cause of the collision is still under investigation and therefore there are no charges pending at this time.
Peltason Celebrates 80th Birthday
Jack Peltason recently celebrated his 80th birthday to much fanfare as Senator Edward M. Kennedy delivered the anuual Peltason Lecture at UCI’s Crystal Cove Auditorim in the Student Center on Oct. 24.
Peltason is the former president of the University of California, former chancellor of UCI, former chancellor of the University of Illinois and past president of the American Council on Education.
Peltason is also a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and a past vice president of the American Political Science Association. He is an expert on American constitutional politics.
In addition, Peltason is very active in the American political process.