The Women of Volleyball and Soccer Set the Standards

I hate the phrase, ‘you go girl,’ but here it goes: you go girls.
With the first of the fall sports winding to a slow end, the women’s volleyball team and the women’s soccer team have set the standard for the word ‘team’ for the remaining athletic year.
The women’s volleyball team is currently sitting third in the Big West Conference with several players on the national radar while the women’s soccer team redefined the word ‘unity’ with their gusto team plays.
With an overall season record of 17-8 and a conference record of 8-5 with nine games remaining, the women’s volleyball team is possibly one of the most improved teams in the entire program; last year’s team boasted a 19-11 overall record with a 10-8 conference record.
Last season’s departure of seniors Rebecca Larsen, who was second in the nation with a .429 hitting percentage, and Chanda McLeod, who led the team with 3.26 digs per game, left big shoes for the team.
The Anteaters that stepped in certainly had training under the best. Senior Kelly Wing is currently averaging 5.39 kills per game while charting 2.87 digs per game.
Helping Wing to fill McLeod’s shoes is senior Brenda Waterman, who’s averaging 4.28 digs per game (she averaged 2.79 last year), as well as junior Ashlie Hain who’s averaging 3.34 digs per game (2.61 in 2002).
If the women’s volleyball team is most improved, then Wing would be the team’s MVP. Wing has thus far in the season been honored three times as the Big West Player of the Week