Abortion Laws and The Fight for Life: Mother or Child?

95
95

Let’s get one fact straight: I am pro-choice.
If you decide to disregard any other information that I present because you doubt my sources, at least know that I support a woman’s right to choose. It’s also important to note that when people say that they are either pro-choice or pro-life, they don’t mean it in the most general sense of the word. Most likely, their sentence will end up sounding more like: ‘I am pro-choice except …’ or ‘I am pro-life but only if …’
As strongly as I previously felt about my decision, my research into the recent controversy over the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act made me waver back and forth. It’s so difficult to take a firm stance when everything you read is biased. The pro-life Web sites denounce the inhumane disposal of life. The pro-choice Web sites downplay the health risks of going through the partial-birth procedure. And both sides believe that they are right.
Abortion was a hot topic before, but whooee! Talk about getting people fired up over this new act that President Bush has recently signed!
If you must, blame the whole fiasco on Roe v. Wade. And if the remnants of your high school American history fail you, this 1973 case declared that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment protected a woman’s right to privacy from state action, a privacy which included the right to terminate her own pregnancy. Essentially, by setting down the foundational judgment that all women have a constitutional right to abortion, the Roe v. Wade verdict began the war between those who claimed to be fighting for life, and those who claimed to be fighting for every woman’s choice. The debate has lasted years, and there’s no doubt that it will last for several more. It hasn’t just been limited to the ‘normal’ people, either. Bill Clinton swaggered into the White House and vetoed a fledgling Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act passed by the House