ASUCI Announces the Results of Recent Elections

At their weekly Tuesday meeting, ASUCI announced a full council complete with seven new members of the legislative council.
With the largest voter turnout ever for fall elections, the new legislative council members are ready to bring a new face to student government.
Each person on the legislative council acts as a representative of one school on campus. The various schools on campus include the School of Social Sciences, Social Ecology, Physical Sciences, Engineering, Biological Sciences and Fine Arts.
The seventh elected seat is held for an at-large representative who works as a collective with the rest of the council members on various issues currently facing the university.
Re-elected for a second term as an at-large representative, Gabriel Ayass commented on his goals for the upcoming year.
‘I am going to keep pushing the three main legislative council agenda items which include the concerns of free speech on campus, the parking situation and the creation of 24-hour study centers.’
To accomplish these goals, Ayass laid out specific actions that will be taken.
‘The UC and UCI policies on free speech must be revised,’ Ayass said. ‘To do this we are going to keep meeting with the administration to keep them accountable for these changes.’
To alleviate an otherwise stressful parking situation, Ayass also plans to add extra bus routes to the current campus transportation system.
Many students are eager to see more shuttle routes, especially routes running more frequently throughout the night.
‘I hope they can get buses that run after-hours,’ said Chinh Nguyen, a second-year Spanish major. ‘It would mean a lot less hassle finding a ride home when you’re stuck on campus late at night.’
Although five of the seven candidates for legislative council ran uncontested in this year’s election, the new representatives are very eager to begin their roles and promote high-quality programs on campus.
Vince Makiling, the social ecology representative and a third-year social ecology major, recently transferred from Orange Coast College and plans on focusing his efforts on creating programs through the School of Social Ecology.
Makiling also responded to complaints by some students about the unfair allocation of funds to various clubs and organizations on campus.
‘This is true because those clubs are involved with student government,’ Makiling said.
Makiling also added that it is the responsibility of the students to get involved with the council that will affect their college lives.
‘It’s important for students to take part in student government because if you don’t vote, you can’t complain,’ Makiling said.
Other council members have different goals. Legislative council member and second-year art history major Sarah Villareal’s motivation to run for re-election for the fine arts chair was to involve the school in ‘mainstream’ issues.
‘The School of Fine Arts is a little harder to outreach,’ Villareal said. ‘It’s harder to get them involved and I’m looking forward to creating publicity to make the school a more active member in all the activities.’
Some of Villareal’s plans include an open mic night with the School of Humanities that will allow students to come and showcase their talent.
The event, entitled ‘Express Yourself,’ will occur once a quarter and hopefully will have ‘great success like in the past’ according to Villareal.
Other schools on campus, including the Henry Samueli School of Engineering, will continue to host ‘E-week’ as an opportunity for engineering clubs to collaborate and reach out to students who want to get involved.
‘I am mainly concerned with the free speech issue and I plan on helping on that as well as events going on in the School of Engineering,’ said Raymond Giang, legislative council member for the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and a third-year computer engineering major. ‘In winter quarter we’ll host ‘E-week’ and I’m looking forward to that being a successful event.’
For ASUCI, the election of the seven council members will allow for better collaboration among the student body.
‘These elections are important to the school as a whole because you need full representation when it comes to making decisions,’ said Sammi Shaaya, ASUCI president and a fourth-year criminology, law and society major. ‘Their presence brings strength in numbers and will allow all of us to be brought closer together.’
For all the events carried out by the legislative council, the finance committees will work with the group to allocate budgets and approve funding. The executive council will also monitor their activities.
Following the resignation of Ali Raza, former legislative council member for the School of Information and Computer Science, one seat remains open while ASUCI seeks a potential candidate to complete the governing body.