UCI Comes Up Short Against Pacific in League Game

181
181

The UC Irvine Women’s Basketball team competed in their fourth Big West Conference match against Pacific on Jan. 10 at the Bren Events Center.
The Tigers (4-8, 3-0 Big West) mounted an explosive start against the Anteaters (1-10, 0-3).
After trailing by a 12-point margin with 14:23 to go in the second half, UCI went on a 17-6 run capped by a six-foot jumper by freshman forward Stephanie Duda with 6:43 remaining in regulation. This closed the score within one point at 50-49.
Pacific held UCI scoreless while they scored the next eight points, including six points from freshman forward Jessie Menkens to bring the Tiger lead back to nine, 58-49, with 3:39 to go in the game. Irvine senior guard Kristen Green hit a pair of three-pointers and two free throws in the last 2:26 but UCI could only get within five for the rest of the game. The final score was 62-57.
Commenting on the slow start for the Anteaters, Callaway said, ‘We shouldn’t take that long to start, that’s what killed us. It was the very beginning. We were trying our hardest to get the lead, but we just couldn’t do it.’
Anteater junior guard Courtney Ferguson had 12 points, knocking down four three-pointers in the loss for UCI.
The Anteaters out-rebounded Pacific, 38-34, but shot just 30.2 percent for the game.
Pacific senior guard Nancy Dinges led all players with 16 points, including a 4-for-11 mark from three-point range.
‘We didn’t come out and play at all in the first 12 minutes, then freshman Angie Ned came in and gave us a lift,’ said UCI Head Coach Craig Jackson.
He believed the Anteaters had a fighting chance.
‘We could’ve won if we got off to a good start,’ Adams said.
Commenting on the win for the Tigers was Pacific Head Coach Craig Jackson.
‘It’s a big win. It’s good for us to get a chance to keep rolling. We have won four of our last five games. Any time you get a road win it’s great.’
According to Callaway, the team needs time to gel if they are to return to winning ways.
‘We need to just get together and play a whole 40 minutes. We haven’t done that yet, and when we do we’ll be good,’ Callaway said.