California Primary Elections Held This March

Wesley Clark and Howard Dean are currently the arguable front-runners for the Democratic Party’s presidential nominations.
Clark, Dean or another candidate that wins the Democratic nomination for the 2004 presidential election, that candidate will go up against the Republican Party’s nomination, as well as candidates from the Green, Independent and American Libertarian Parties.
Primary elections began on Jan. 13 in the District of Columbia. For California, this election will be held on March 2, and other states will hold them on various dates, closing with Nevada on Sept. 7.
These elections will determine who will win the presidential nomination for their respective political parties and will decide who shows up on the Nov. 2 ballot.
Candidates for the Republican Party include current President George W. Bush, who is the party’s primary focus and the Green Party’s front-runner, Ralph Nader who has not yet committed to running.

Diane Templin
Party: American
Diane Templin is the congressional representative for District 5. She supports greatly increasing funding for higher education, K-12 education, health care, law enforcement and highway infrastructure.
Templin is in support of the death penalty and decriminializing the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes. She does not support the adoption of universal health care but is in favor of providing parents with state-funded vouchers to send children to private and religous schools.

Michael Badnarik
Party: Libertarian
Michael Badnarik suspects reasons for American troops in Iraq are more economically-based than ethically-based and feels that President Bush never officially declared war and therefore acted unconstitutionally by sending troops.
Badnarik envisions a war on drugs that reverses America’s current stance on illegal substances. He proposes the decriminalization of drugs in an effort to make them cheaper and therefore less desirable to sell. Badnarik also feels that the issue of abortion should be decided at the state level. Additionally, he believes that the Second Amendment is already being violated and he doesn’t feel anyone should have to fill out any paperwork before being allowed to bear arms.

Ralph Nader
Party: Green
The Green Party is eager to promote Nader’s candidacy.
Some of Nader’s strongest platforms include opposition to corporate crime and a drive to end what he calls ‘corporate welfare’ schemes, subsidies, tax breaks, kick backs, bribes and payoffs.’
Nader also wants to abolish poverty at a national level and repeal barriers like the Taft-Hartley law that he feels keep workers from their due compensation in the workplace.
Nader supports standards of health care that extend coverage to all Americans.

Gary Nolan
Party: Libertarian
Gary Nolan feels that federal spending is skyrocketing out of control.
He wants to minimize that spending, enabling American citizens to retain more of their own incomes.
Nolan also supports a policy of non-intervention and wants to bring troops home from Iraq.
Nolan additionally calls for a repeal of the American Patriot Act,
claiming it is a restriction of civil liberties and hence the opponent of individual rights expressed in the Constitution.

George W. Bush
Party: Republican
George W. Bush is the Republican Party’s leading candidate for the 2004 presidential elections.
Acting as America’s leader during the time of the Sept. 11 attacks in 2001, George W. Bush has declared war on terrorism. President Bush has stated on multiple occasions that he plans to ‘finish the mission we have begun, period.’ Bush has also created a Department of Homeland Security, uniting over 22 agencies to help protect infrastructure and keep borders safe.
Bush has also introduced plans to make Medicare more accessible and affordable. President Bush is hoping to drive down the cost of prescription drugs with the recent passage of a historic prescription drug bill. Education is cited as Bush’s top domestic priority. In May of 2003, Bush signed into law a plan to strengthen American economy by promoting jobs and continued economic growth.
This plan aims to speed up the pace of economic recovery and job creation from 2001’s tax cuts.