‘La Boheme’ at the Ahmanson Theatre

There is no better example of modern contemporary opera than Baz Luhrmann’s production of Giacomo Puccini’s La Boheme at the Ahmanson Theatre in Los Angeles. From now till March 7, amazing actors and singers will grace the stage to bring a classic opera back to life.
Set in the Left Bank world of Paris in 1957, the streets were filled with jazz clubs and cafes. It was also a time in which tuberculosis was still a real threat. In a rooftop garret is where the love story of Rodolfo and Mimi began after a blackout brought them together. They swore to love each other forever.
Months went by and, due to the guilt of Mimi’s conditions were getting worse, Rodolfo leaves her because he thinks his poverty is to blame. After a heated discussion, they decided to part when spring comes.
Summer arrives and Mimi is dying. She returns to Rodolfo for her dying words. They reminisce about happier times, but nothing could save her.
The demanding vocal performances require four couples to play Rodolfo and Mimi, each doing no more than three performances per week. The singers not only display outstanding vocal abilities, they also reveal the struggles of the characters they portray through exceptional acting.
The stage was fashioned with rotating sets as they come together to revive the Latin Quarter of Paris during the late 1950’s.
The vastly contrasting moods of the production would not have been possible without the spectacular lighting both on stage and around the theater to appropriately suit every act.
Boheme was written in Italian and for the sake of the quaility and tone of the production, it is essential for the opera to be performed in Italian as well. Luckily, the Ahmanson Theatre has a large, scrolling marquee of easy-to-follow English supertitles projected above the stage.
Whether you are a Puccini enthusiast, attending an opera for the first time, just a sucker for love, the story of Rodolfo and Mimi will capture your every breath.
Tickets for the Baz Lurhmann’s production of La Boheme can run anywhere from $30 – 120 depending on the day of the performance and the location of the seats.
Performance days and times until March 7 are as follows: Tue. – Fri. at 8 p.m., Thur. at 2:00 p.m. (and select Thur. matinees), Sat. at 2:00 p.m. and 8 p.m., Sun. at 2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. (as well as select Sun. eventings).
La Boheme runs two-hours and ten-minutes with a single intermission.

For more information on this production of La Boheme, including ticket information, call (213) 628-2772 or visit www.taperahmanson.com