UCI Can’t Dig up Gold in Loss

When it rains, it pours. Victory was short-lived by the UC Irvine Women’s Basketball team. After winning their first conference game by defeating Cal State Fullerton only a week ago, the Anteaters suffered another blow at the hands of Long Beach State as they defeated the Anteaters 57-51 on Jan. 24.
The women entered the Bren Events Center with a taste of victory in their mouth but no matter how sweet the taste, the women could not manage to satisfy their hunger.
The game tipped off in favor of Long Beach but two plays later, senior guard Kristen Green made a remarkable stand for the Anteaters, making the first shot of the game. For the first 10 minutes of the game, UCI led the 49ers 13-4. The lack of communication and streams of bad passes seemed to hinder the progress of Long Beach State.
‘Our defense was outstanding tonight but we were missing easy shots and mentally when it comes down to crunch time we’re not there yet,’ said Head Coach Mark Adams.
With 7:11 left in the first half, Long Beach turned the game around, turning four points into 14. This didn’t stop the Lady Anteaters as they impressively fought back, holding Long Beach by the brim of the basket by tying the game 21-21 at the end of the first half for the first time all evening.
After halftime, the Anteaters and 49ers returned to the gym for the second half of this war. Just two minutes into the second half, Long Beach pulled ahead with two free throws, which were followed by two shots of the Anteaters’ own.
UCI trailed the 49ers by two points for several minutes before they were able to regain their composure and strength, taking the lead 41-39 with 11:43 remaining in the second half. Four minutes later, Petra Glaser of Long Beach State took charge, tying the game 41-41. In the last minutes of the game, the Lady Anteaters desperately tried to steal the game, as freshman forward Stephanie Duda, seemingly at her wit’s end, held on for the last shot and free throw of the game for UCI.
Many things attributed to the successes and failures of the evening.
‘Green is not really a forward; we’re playing without a real forward. We have athletes who are injured right now,’ Adams said. ‘All in all, I feel that the girls played just as well as they did last week.’
Despite the loss, there was still something to be excited about, as Green set a new career-high with 22 points. Adams was elated, despite the loss.
‘She really stepped up tonight and helped us out. She kept us in the game,’ Adams said.