Is Bush Pulling a Fast One on Us? Again?

So did you see the State of the Union address? Setting aside the fact that the president has a smirk that makes him look like a used car salesman with his hand in the cookie jar, the text of the speech sounded pretty good. Upbeat, uplifting, nothing but good times. Too bad it’s a pack of lies.
Let’s take a look at some of the highlights, shall we?
First up on the list is the ‘historic education reform’ the president promised.
Bush promised that education would be a priority. ‘No child left behind.’
Remember that? However, the proposed budget he submitted for 2003 actually cut educational funding, and didn’t even pay for the programs he himself proposed, falling 90 million dollars short. The budget proposal for Title I (which is the program that targets aid to disadvantaged children) will be short by over $ six dollars from what was promised in the education law.
Turning to the Department of Homeland Security, which is to ‘protect our country’ and involved in a reorganization of the government and amassing of legal power coupled with a reduction of our civil rights, Bush vetoed a bipartisan funding bill to improve our port security, the cockpit doors on airplanes, the border patrol, customs, the works. His reasoning? The country couldn’t afford it. And while that may be true, it certainly doesn’t explain why he’s proposing more tax cuts and a reorganization of the tax code to favor the rich.
There are so many other things, such as medical care (no national health care plan, an end to medical litigation being easy, and a call to improve the lot of the HMOs under the guise of putting doctors back in charge), environmental cleanup of the air (which wouldn’t need to be cleaned up if we were actually trying to enforce regulations rather than cutting them all back, not funding the Superfund, or out of the Kyoto treaty) and encouragement of faith-based charities receiving federal grants while not being forced to create a non-sectarian treatment program (separation of church and state