Celebrate Valentine’s Day the ‘V’ Way

389
389

‘If your vagina could be any object, other than a vagina, what would it be?’ The question is abrupt and makes many in the room giggle nervously. The girl standing in front smirks and replies coolly ‘It would be a guitar.’ ‘Oh?’ asks the voice. ‘Because musicians love it … they can play with it night and day, really strike a chord. And of course I’ve been known to play a little myself.’ Appreciative chuckles come from the audience. This is certainly an odd audition, but appropriate given the circumstances.
Over 150 UCI students have gathered in Cameo Cove to audition for the second annual production of the Vagina Monologues. For those not familiar with the show, the Vagina Monologues is an Obie Award-winning, one-woman play conceived by performer Eve Ensler. Sometimes hilarious, sometimes heart-wrenching, the show is made up of a series of women, standing on stage with just their microphone and their words acting out monologues centered on one topic: their vaginas.
UCI’s performance is part of a global organization known as V-Day which is dedicated to stopping violence against women and girls worldwide. All proceeds from the UCI performance will be donated to a V-Day charity fighting for the cause. This year’s beneficiaries are the women of Juarez, Mexico, according to Janelle Eagle, the producer of the show.
‘[There are] over 300 cases of brutalization and mutilation against women that go without investigation or judicial support,’ Eagle said.
Though staged for a serious cause, the show is far from being somber.
‘The show we did last year was hilarious,’ Eagle said. ‘Lots of laughs and thought-provoking stories. The pieces are moving as opposed to depressing.’
Sitting in the audience one can expect to hear stories about very personal grooming, losing virginity, homosexuality, heterosexuality, oral sex, odors, giving birth, relationships, rape, body image and pleasuring