Anteaters Fall to the Aztecs in Home Loss

The UCI Women’s Water Polo team met their match as the 14th-ranked Anteaters fell to the fifth-ranked San Diego State Aztecs at the Anteater Aquatics Complex, Feb. 12, 4-2 in their eighth game this season.
‘The girls had a great game. We executed our game plan. Unfortunately, we were just on the lower side of the score,’ said Head Coach Marc Hunt.
Strongly initiating the beginning of the game, Holly Hartzell and Dominique Delgado scored to give the Aztecs a 2-0 lead in the first quarter. Anteater senior utility Melissa Fernandez raised the odds to half for the Anteaters with a first quarter goal to make it 2-1.
In the second quarter, the Aztecs scored twice with goals by Chelsy Smith and Savanah Kelly, taking a 4-1 lead into the half of the game. Senior driver Michelle Carey added a goal to the score for UCI in the third quarter.
Both teams were scoreless from there. But there was no doubt that this game was strong and intense. The players from both teams started off strong and played with force until the end.
With nine saves by senior goalkeeper Sunceray Chamblee for the Anteaters, it was certainly an exhilarating game.
Senior driver Tiffany Frish was encouraged about the Anteaters’ play despite the loss.
‘We were motivated for this game because they’re ranked fifth in the nation and so we wanted to come out and show everyone what we could do,’ Frish said.
‘So far this is our eighth game for the season and the girls have done an excellent job. Our goal is to continue improving as a team,’ Hunt said.
In the Anteaters’ next game against Hawaii on Feb. 14, UCI won a 5-4 double-overtime decision at the Duke Kahanamoku Aquatic Complex.
The Anteaters led at the half 2-1. With 1:28 left in the fourth quarter, senior driver Michelle Carey scored a goal to give UCI a 4-3 lead.
Junior driver Aleah Amr scored the eventual game-winner for UCI.