UC Irvine Trips Up Highlanders

The UC Irvine Women’s Basketball team’s contest against UC Riverside was anything but amicable.
Tying twice and leading twice, the Anteaters won with a final score of 56-55 on Feb. 14 at the Bren Events Center in Big West Conference play. The Anteaters improved their record to 5-16 overall and 4-9 in conference play. The Highlanders dropped to 6-15 and 5-7 in league action.
Senior forward Christina Callaway scored a team-high 18 points and had 14 rebounds to go with four steals to lead the Anteaters.
Sophomore forward Lauren Yadon scored eight points in her eight minutes of first half game time, rebounding once with only two personal fouls. The game intensified as junior center Ashley Biggins scored four points with five rebounds and added a steal.
By the end of the first half, Irvine held a narrow lead, 24-22. Riverside took the second half with a one-point lead
Yadon continued strongly, scoring nine points and grabbing five rebounds during her 11 minutes of game time after halftime.
Callaway, who played a full game, scored 13 points and had 10 rebounds in the half.
In addition to the starters, the Anteaters received strong play from their bench.
‘[Freshman guard Shayna Stanley] came off the bench strong and did a nice job for us,’ said Head Coach Mark Adams.
Stanley pumped up the court with an energetic eight minutes of play time, sharing the ball with Green, Callaway and Biggins in addition to scoring two points.
UC Riverside junior guard Casandra Reeves made an amazing shot at the buzzer to bring the Highlanders one point short of a victory.
The win allowed UCI to win the two teams’ second encounter of the season.
The Anteaters next play Long Beach State for their next conference game on Feb. 21 at Long Beach.