Discrimination’s Ascendency

He’s a nice dresser, has some feminine qualities and seems unwilling to use violence. Conclusion: He’s definitely not straight. Your hall mate is badly dressed with unkempt hair, has crooked teeth and drives a moderate car. Conclusion: she must be odd and poor.
If you have allowed your mind to concede to these preconceived notions, you have fallen into the hands of stereotype and prejudice, which in one form or another leads to discrimination. Discrimination does not only involve treating a different race unequally, but also treating a person differently according to background, socio-economic status, appearance, age, gender or religion.
Coming from an Asian background and traveling to an East Coast state densely populated with whites, there had been times when individuals or store clerks condescendingly stared for long moments and spoke louder and slower to us than to their usual white customers, thinking we don’t speak a lick of English. What do you call that? California is, however, less extreme in racial discrimination because the minority basically makes up the majority. Many Americans may consider the United States to be a melting pot, when in actuality it is only those few states, like California, that have minorities blending into the American culture.
Moreover, discrimination is evident in the city of Irvine. Coming to this city, do you ever wonder where all the homeless people are or why you don’t see any whatsoever? This is a classic example of socio-economic class discrimination, where the homeless are shipped to Santa Ana because Irvine wants to maintain that perfect view of a clean, safe, utopian place, known to be populated with the wealthy upper class where every other car is a sparkling Beamer or new Honda Accord. But once you step out of the area, you no longer see only luxury automobiles.
In a society that is so focused on wealth and image, I wonder what life would be like for female celebrities if there was no plastic surgery to reshape their bodies or if there was no make-up to redesign their natural faces. The point is that those who are betterlooking tend to have more opportunities open to them, such as job interviews.
One news station conducted research in which they made one less attractive person and another more attractive person attend a job interview to teach a kindergarten class. Clearly, the more attractive person with longer hair and beautiful eyes won the interviewer and the students over.
Discrimination based on appearance not only happens to those who have unattractive faces, but also to those who look very young. Visit sit-in restaurants and observe the service between waiters/waitresses and customers. You’ll notice a marked difference depending on the appearance of the party. If the group is seemingly young, the waiter will sometimes have the mentality that, ‘Since they’re young, they must not work, and hence, they won’t tip more if I give them good service. I’ll focus on that older table over there.’
Furthermore, the glass ceiling still exists in the corporate world, where women are still paid less for the same position that men hold. In the Fortune 500 companies, women make up only 10 percent of senior managers, which probably means that they’re not hiring women for those positions because of a prejudice. Yet, they justify this with the rationale that their decision is not based on gender, but skills.
Gender bias is also disguised in the name of religion in some belief systems, like Islam, which does not allow women to appear uncovered in public, making them suffer during the intensity of the summer heat.
Discrimination is sometimes hidden. Nevertheless, it survives