Wellness Symposium Offers Piece of Mind

What is your perfect image of yourself? Are you rich, married and satisfied? The Health Education Center wants you to live your life to the fullest, whatever that may mean for you.
For that reason, they started the practice of holding a Wellness Symposium, in the hope that all attending will be able to attain the somewhat elusive goal of overall well-being.
On March 2, the Third-Annual Wellness Symposium was held at Emerald Bay in the Student Center with Paula L. McGee as the keynote speaker.
‘We chose [McGee] because we recognized that she had the ability to encourage students on a spiritual level as well as a physical. We wanted to present a holistic approach. Health and wellness is an interaction of spirit, body, and mind,’ said Ellen Reibling, director of the Health Education Center
The Wellness Symposium took place in two parts. The first was titled ‘Finding a Job versus Finding Your Calling.’ This lecture was geared towards the women of the community and focused mainly on following your calling instead of your career.
‘Accepting your Greatness,’ the second half of the symposium, was geared more towards students, and although it touched on the same topics as the previous lecture, it emphasized respecting yourself enough to do what you love and getting to know yourself.
Both ended with a raffle drawing where audience members won health and body-oriented prizes like yoga or personal training sessions.
McGee first gained national recognition in high school as a basketball player. She maintained her status throughout college, but then after six seasons of playing professional basketball after college, she realized that although she was making great money, it was only a career and she needed to follow her true calling of a lecturer/scholar. Since then, she has continued in school (she is currently getting her Ph.D. in women’s studies in religion) and travels while giving motivational talks.
Her lectures were based off the idea that we are created for the purpose of doing our calling.
According to McGee, your calling is the activity that you love to do so much that you would do it for free but don’t have to. Passions, the base of callings, are apparent in your childhood loves and waking thoughts. Once you discover your calling it should be solidified into an ‘I am’ statement.
The statement is important because as McGee explained, ‘If you don’t have an ‘I am’ statement, somebody will give you a ‘you are’ statement.’ The ‘you are’ statements can scar you while the ‘I am’ statement gives you strength and affirms who you really are inside.’
McGee gave powerful advice, such as ‘don’t live in fear’ and ‘if you ignore your low lows then you will never appreciate your high highs.’
According to Sabrina Thind, a fourth-year sociology major, McGee’s advice about following your passion is a risk that she is hesitant to make.
‘[It] made me think, because there are things when I was a kid that made me happy