UCI Can’t Dig Out of a Hole Against 49ers

The UC Irvine Men’s Volleyball team was on the losing end again, being handed a 3-1 (30-27, 24-30, 30-28, 30-23) defeat on March 10 against third-ranked Long Beach State at Crawford Court.
The Anteaters were neck and neck with the 49ers in game one, with the score tied 26-26.
The opportunity to get ahead with a first-game victory slipped away following a UCI service error and two hitting errors, tilting the score to 29-26 in Long Beach State’s favor.
49er senior outside hitter Scott Touzinsky pounded a kill to end the first game, 30-27.
The Anteaters came back with a 30-24 victory in the second game. However, that momentum wasn’t the lasting kind. Long Beach State took the third game, 30-28, following another UCI service error.
Long Beach State got on a roll that continued through the fourth game with a 30-23 victory, sealing the match for Long Beach State.
‘I thought we could have turned the match around in the second game when we beat them but Long Beach State was very consistent,’ said freshman forward Matt Webber.
UCI was paced by Webber with 19 kills, which tied his career-high.
‘We didn’t execute as well as we needed to against a really good team,’ said Head Coach John Speraw.
Senior outside hitter and team captain Jimmy Pelzel commented
on UCI’s inability to close out games.
‘We didn’t compete well at the end of games when we needed to the most,’ Pelzel said.
Pelzel totaled 15 kills and had six block assists.
UCI’s record goes to 8-13 for the year and 4-10 in Mountain Pacific Sports Federation play.
‘Right now our backs are up against the wall to make the
playoffs. Everything for us is
on the line,’ Pelzel said.