Sports in Brief

Men’s Volleyball Overcomes Hawaii
Honolulu, Hawaii – April 10 – The UC Irvine Men’s Volleyball team came back after losing two straight sets against Hawaii to beat them 3-2 at the Stan Sheriff Center, 18-30, 23-30, 30-27, 30-26, 15-13.
UC Irvine (12-17, 6-14 MPSF) had the early lead in the first set 13-11 but the Warriors (16-10 12-8) would soon outscore them and ultimately win the first set, 18-30.
In the second, Hawaii began the set ahead with a 4-1 lead. UCI came as close as an 18-16 difference, yet Hawaii again pulled out of it with another win, 23-30.
Irvine trailed in the third but gained their momentum back with a kill by freshman Jayson Jablonsky to take the lead, 21-20. A few errors on the Warriors side and the help of a few of senior Jimmy Pelzel’s kills ended the set in UCI’s favor, 30-27.
UC Irvine fought hard against Hawaii during the fourth set and won 30-16 after Hawaii made an attacking error.

In the final set, the Anteaters out-hit the Warriors to finish the game 15-13.
Pelzel led Irvine with a total of 20 kills and Jablonsky came in just behind him with a career-high of 19.

Men’s Tennis Defeat South Florida
Tampa, Fla. – April 9 – The UC Irvine Men’s Tennis team beat 52nd-ranked South Florida, 4-3.
UCI’s number two doubles team of seniors Jon Endrikat and Wkwesi Williams defeated the Bulls’ Federico Barton and German Escallon, 8-1. South Florida was unable to put out a number three doubles team, leading to a default on their part. UCI won the doubles point.
In the singles matches, freshman Mustafa Ulukan defeated Escallon on the number four court 7-5, 7-5.
South Florida did not have enough players in their roster to fill the number five and number six courts. UCI won both points in these two courts to take a 4-3 win.
Endrikat was named Big West Athlete of the Week after he won both his number one singles matches against Idaho and UC Riverside in stunning performances.

Men’s Track & Field Makes History in Invite
Santa Barbara, Calif. – April 10 – The UC Irvine Men’s Track & Field team won the Big West Challenge Cup for the first time in UCI history. This is the first championship win for the Anteaters in the Cup’s 12-year history.
Senior Derek Kingrey won both the shot put and discus throw to help the men’s team finish with a total of 200.50 points.
Kingrey set new school records in the shot put after a mark of 57-8 3/4 to be ranked number two in UCI history and his discus throw, which made a mark of 177-6 1/4.