The Dalai Lama, Suburban Girls and UCI

Every now and then there are things in the world that just irk me. Over time I read about issues and events locally, nationally and abroad that drive me nuts.
I would love to write about each event and give my two cents worth in a commentary.
However, the event or issue on its own usually does not warrant a full article.
So in the spirit of consolidation, time and your attention span, I have decided to craft this article with all of my latest worldly irksome things.
Right before school started I received an unsolicited e-mail from Manuel N. Gomez, vice chancellor of student affairs, about budget issues with UCI.
Here is the sentence that caught my attention: ‘At this point, however, given the governor’s initial proposals for student fee levels, it is likely that undergraduate fees will rise at least 10 percent ($498) for the 2004-05 academic year and may go higher. Fees for graduate students are proposed to rise by as much as 40 percent, although we hope to reduce this figure during the budget process.’
If you haven’t figured it out yet, you have just been taxed an additional 10 percent or 40 percent depending on your status.
I say taxed because do you really think it costs 10 to 40 percent more to run the university this quarter versus last?
How does that make you feel? Kind of angers me that I have to pay 10 percent more tax while California prison guards get one of the best pay raises in history.
Why do we pay more attention to the living conditions of rapists and murders than students?
Who is a better investment in the future?
Seems to me the answer is pretty straightforward.
A better educated population leads to more jobs, less crime and more prosperity.
Speaking of crime, the media really loves to latch on to stories about crime and punishment.
Look at all of the sensational drama in the media right now