Premiere Magazine Offers Another Movie Perspective

OK, OK, so you’ve probably heard of Premiere Magazine before, and now you’re thinking, ‘Big deal. This isn’t news to us; Em must be running out of ideas.’
And, yes, what magazine nowadays doesn’t feature a Quentin Tarantino interview?
But freeze for a moment, and allow me to explain.
First of all, the May issue of Premiere features actor Orlando Bloom as its cover star. As most of you (hopefully) know, Mr. Bloom is co-starring with the infamous Brad Pitt in this summer’s anticipated blockbuster ‘Troy,’ thus embodying the prevalent theme of this pre-summer Premiere: the hottest movies of the summer.
The issue rightfully predicts and appropriately previews 59 upcoming summer releases and titles the section ‘The Ultimate Summer Movie Preview,’ listing titles in order of their anticipation. ‘Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban,’ ‘Spider-Man 2’ and ‘Troy,’ of course, top the list (page 52).
And these brief but thorough summaries of the most exciting films coming out during the months of heat are just the first taste of Premiere’s straight-up, no-frills movie news.
Calling itself simply ‘The Movie Magazine,’ Premiere jumps right in on page 16 with reviews for potentially lesser-known films now in theaters, like ‘Young Adam’ with Ewan McGregor.
Premiere also throws in some cute, fun monthly features such as ‘Go Figure,’ which boldy predicts movies box office grossings while acknowledging the ridiculous and baseless impossibility of the task. Here, Premiere hypothesizes the total gross that upcoming Denzel Washington film ‘Man on Fire’ will collect using statistics like the average gross of other Washington movies and the year in which Dakota Fanning was born. It’s quite an entertaining prediction.
Premiere also provides first looks into films still in the works; readers learn about new movies on the way starring the likes of Monica Bellucci and Jimmy Fallon.
We also get a peek at ‘New York Minute’ with a quickie one-page by Eugene Levy. Billion-dollar twins Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen pop up later in the issue to promote the film, one of the few that isn’t going straight to video.
Cleverly-titled ‘Troy Story’ gets to the goods and interviews ‘Troy’ director Wolfgang Petersen about his actors, the production and the possibility that the story of ‘Troy’ might be one of the greatest stories ever sold’ (page 47). The ode to the film continues with a feature on Diane Kruger, who plays Helen in ‘Troy,’ on page 50.
Skipping past the already-mentioned ultimate movie guide, readers now stumble upon what every legitimate entertainment publication seems to boast lately: a feature on director Quentin Tarantino. Famous for ‘Pulp Fiction,’ ‘Reservoir Dogs’ and ‘Jackie Brown,’ Tarantino’s latest works, both volumes of ‘Kill Bill,’ have been received by critical and commercial audiences alike. This generally demonstrates the reason for his popularity in magazines these days. While nothing new, I dare not criticize Premiere for this.
Side note: if you haven’t caught ‘Kill Bill: Volume 2’ yet, you’re truly missing out.
Premiere continues its showcase of the most highly anticipated movies of the present with coverage of Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale’s upcoming film ‘Van Helsing.’
Then, in ‘Home Guide’ (subtitled ‘Essential Information for the Movie Maniac’), Premiere provides a cohesive outline for what has recently emerged at a Suncoast or Best Buy near you: new DVD releases, whether they be newer films like ‘Something’s Gotta Give’ and ‘Mona Lisa Smile’ or older films with new versions on release, like ‘Splash’ and ‘Ransom.’
And, like any worthy yet predictable entertainment magazine, Premiere also features video game reviews and a buying guide to cool stuff like plasma screen televisions and ‘solutions for surround’ sound (page 108).
All in all, I wouldn’t classify Premiere as something extraordinary or even all that special; it does not go anywhere I haven’t seen a movie magazine go before.