News in Brief

Suspects Placed In Custody after Air Pellet Attack
On May 5, Irvine police officers responded to a home near Woodspring Ave. and Cedarspring Ave. after a 16-year-old resident reported she had been assaulted with an ‘airsoft’ pellet gun by an acquaintance.
The victim had been in front of her garage with two friends when the suspect and two passengers drove up and stopped in front of her driveway. She recognized two of the suspects as her classmates from Creekside High School and the third one as an acquaintance from Woodbridge High School. The suspects are now in custody. Their names are not being released to the public since they are juveniles.

Governor’s Budget Restores Some Funding to UC
Gov. Schwarzenegger issued the May revision to his state budget proposal for 2004-05 on May 13 protecting the University of California from additional state budget cuts and restoring $20 million in previously cut funding to the university.
The May revision also includes funding for the California Student Aid Commission to provide Cal Grants that cover the fee increase.
Under the governor’s original budget, UC’s state-funded operating budget would fall from $2.9 billion to $2.67 billion.
A graduate student fee increase, as well as a 20 percent increase in nonresident tuition are expected in the budget.