UCI Ranks 12th Among Top Publics Again

Despite continuing budget cuts in the UC system, ‘U.S. News and World Report’ ranked UCI 12th among national public universities for a second year in a row in its annual college rankings released earlier this summer.
UCI moved up two spots from last year to rank 43rd among all national public and private universities, tying with Tulane University.
The 284 institutions considered to be national universities by USNWR are defined as such by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
The rankings place an emphasis on the amount of money the university spends on faculty and students. Because of this, Chancellor Ralph Cicerone was uncertain about how UCI would rank this year and was worried that the university would drop in USNWR rankings.
‘I was afraid that we would move down because [USNWR] pays a lot of attention to money. We’re not doing well on those fronts because of the California [fiscal] situation,’ Cicerone said. ‘Given that they pay so much attention to financial resources, and not as much to outcomes, I think we’re doing OK.’
In addition, Cicerone was impressed by how much UCI has moved ahead of other universities in the last few years.
‘It’s impressive to me to see how high we are among all the public universities because I grew up in the East and I went to graduate school in the Midwest, and there’s some great universities back there that we’ve passed,’ Cicerone said. ‘It’s pretty darn impressive to be ahead of Illinois, Wisconsin, Texas