Cornered! A Weekly CD Review

Rarely does a song come around that will ‘change your life,’ but Natalie Portman was pretty close when she made the claim in ‘Garden State.’ Both the movie and the soundtrack have that similar effect. It’s an album of self-reflection with as much diversity as cohesion.
The album starts out with ‘Don’t Panic’ by Coldplay, almost as if leading the listener from the well-known to the less radio-mainstream. The CD continues into a track by The Shins, keeping an easygoing, alternative pace.
Zero 7’s ‘In the Waiting Line’ makes the mood more mellow; their song includes influences from soul, electronica and jazz. They’re followed by ‘I Just Think I’ll Get Over You’ with the distinct sound of Colin Hay’s voice.
The album continues with ‘Blue Eyes’ by the Cary Brothers and a track by Remy Zero, followed by ‘One of These Things First’ by Nick Drake, clearly continuing the theme of self-discovery.
The most significant tracks have been saved for last, with Simon & Garfunkel’s ‘The Only Living Boy in New York,’ Iron & Wine’s laid-back cover of The Postal Service’s ‘Such Great Heights,’ and ‘Let Go,’ by Frou Frou, a group with a progressive and electronic sound with a strong Bjork influence.
The CD concludes with ‘Winding Road’ by

Bonne Somerville, leaving both the listener and movie’s protagonist with a sense of accomplishment, yet still close to where they started.
The soundtrack does an incredible job of capturing the feelings evoked by the movie, those of being lost and searching to find yourself and making sense of the world around you. It also serves as an amazing collection of great music all in one place, an accomplishment rarely achieved well by any compilations let alone a movie soundtrack. The album achieves this while not letting any of the songs seem out of place