Governor Finds Support in Irvine

108
108

Surrounded by an audience that included top government and business leaders of Orange County, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger stopped in Irvine to hold a ‘town hall meeting’ on Oct. 6 in the Irvine Hyatt Regency to urge voters to vote against Propositions 68 and 70 in the upcoming elections.
Proposition 68 would require Indian tribes to contribute 25 percent of slot machine and gaming device revenues to the government. If tribes don’t accept these terms, then the proposition authorizes 16 specific non-tribal racetracks and gambling establishments to operate slot machine and gaming devices and pay a third of their revenues to the government.
Proposition 70 would require the governor, upon requests from tribes, to execute renewable 99-year gaming compacts and require tribes to contribute a percent of their revenues to the state.
Schwarzenegger described this meeting as a way to reach out to the citizens and gain their support.
‘I need your help,’ he said. ‘Propositions 68 and 70 would would destroy all the progress we have made in Indian gaming compacts and would be disastrous for our state.’
The governor explained that he has made progress in reworking gaming compacts with tribes before these propositions were on the ballot.
‘In June and again in August, I sat down with nine Indian gaming tribes and we worked out compacts. It was very good. It gives the state finally its fair share of Indian gaming revenue,’ Schwarzenegger said.
The governor said that these new propositions would undermine his efforts with Indian tribes.
‘But now, there are big-money special interests that are out there trying to stop our progress. They’ve put Propositions 68 and 70 on the ballot, meant to destroy everything that we’ve fought for and to pave the way for Las Vegas-style casinos,’ Schwarzenegger said.
He described Proposition 68 as being misleading in language.
‘Proposition 68 will put gambling in racetracks and card clubs, which will result in huge casinos near your homes, near your work and sadly, near your schools