142

With the school year officially under way, UCI prepares for the commencement of the 2004-2005 men’s and women’s basketball seasons. On Friday, Oct. 15, the Bren Events Center will present Midnight Magic.
Blake Sasaki, director of marketing and promotions, as well as marketing interns and athletic staff, have put a lot into this year’s production, which will follow a Hollywood theme.
This season opener will introduce the men’s and women’s athletic teams and also provide an evening of games, free food and prizes.
Completely Insane Anteaters, is ready to kick off the year at the event, as it will be the first time students can register for this organization.
The CIA is a fairly new organization that has become a phenomenon at UCI.
In only a short amount of time,the CIA has bolstered school spirit and become notorious for the packs of roaring fans and excitement it brings to various school functions around the campus.
Midnight Magic will be the first chance for many freshman and transfer students to see the CIA in action. The doors to the Bren will open at 10:30 p.m.
The main concourse will be open for the first hour, with various games, a DJ booth and giveaways.
Admission is free with a school ID card. Food provided by El Pollo Loco will be served to the first 1,000 attendees.
At approximately 11:30 p.m., the doors to the main arena will be opened for students and fans to shuffle into the auditorium.
There will be two performances by the cheerleaders and the UCI dance team. At about midnight the men’s and women’s basketball teams will be introduced to the crowd. After the teams are introduced there will be a three-point shoot-out.
And, as with most other things, what good would the night be without a good old-fashioned battle-of-the-sexes scrimmage?
Midnight Magic grows into a bigger event every year with intcreased attendance each time it is held.
‘This is definitely one of the biggest student events at UCI,’ Sasaki said. ‘We’re expecting about 1500 to 2000 people this year.’
Various clubs and organizations support this event every year, including the brothers of Pi Kappa Alpha, who come out to support junior basketball guard Ross Schrader.
The UC Irvine Men’s and Women’s Volleyball teams participate unofficially in the event, dressed to impress, adding their own flare to an evening dedicated to basketball.