Indy Films in Art House Theatre

233
233

The parallel universe of cinema arts, also known as indie films, lies just across the bridge. The University Town Center 6 is an art house, a theater that shows strictly alternative films, movies that can be described as compelling, enlightening and provocative.
The theater offers student rates with a valid student or UCI ID and advanced ticket purchasing through Fandango. It caters to many different audiences, such as senior citizens who enjoy foreign and period films. Women love romantic escapist films, while young men are attracted to Hong Kong action films and Anime. The theater would like high school and college students to be aware of the unique films that are easily accessible.
Promotional Coordinator Virginia Gilabert is a passionate film lover who enjoys sharing her enthusiasm with fellow film connoisseurs. She studied film during her years as a student at UCI and has worked in Hollywood. Gilabert worked in the corporate world, but was drawn to cinema by her avid appreciation for films.
Gilabert started working in the theater concession stand because of the fringe benefit of being able to watch movies for free. She would have conversations with moviegoers to share interpretations about the complicated plot of some films. Eventually, Regal Entertainment Group heard about this movie guru and created a position for her. She now has an office in the theater and is in charge of movie promotions.
There are many opportunities that Gilabert has created to enhance the movie experience. She leads movie discussion groups to promote reflection on unique films. Young filmmakers who are just starting out come to the theater to speak on behalf of their movies.
There are four main types of alternative films that are shown at the University Town Center 6: foreign, American independent, documentaries and revival. Gilabert says that the mission of the theater is to promote understanding of various cultures through unique and universal themes.
These amazing works of art are brought to U.S. movie screens by movie distributors who are constantly scouting film festivals to find the next big hit.
Independent filmmakers must first have an unquenchable desire for capturing stories. Then they must collect funding for the expensive upfront costs of production. After their film is completed, it can be submitted to film festival committees. If their movie is chosen, it will be showcased in nonprofit film festivals and eligible to win different categories such as best documentary, best new filmmaker and the audience award. The films that win awards may attract the interest of distributors and land a
contract.
Because of new technology, there will be a huge revolution in movie-making. In the future, movies will be made digitally and DVDs will replace obsolete vinyl film strips. New filmmakers will be able to produce a movie with less overhead, and put it on DVD. This will democratize the film-making process and level the playing field for new filmmakers. In a few years, filmstrip projectors will be replaced with ones that can read DVDs. The only issue hindering the progress of this technological transformation is the issue of avoiding theft while transporting the DVD.
A handful of the alternative films come from different countries around the world. In 2001, a French film named ‘Amelie’ touched the hearts of Americans. The movie was released as a mainstream film and its success threw it onto movie screens across the ocean. ‘Amelie’ was shown in America with subtitles, automatically landing it in the art houses. The film easily struck a chord in the international world because of its visual method of storytelling.