Proposition 101:

Proposition 61
SUMMARY: Authorizes $750 million in general obligation bonds for grants to eligible children’s hospitals for construction, expansion, remodeling, renovation, furnishing and equipping children’s hospitals. Fiscal Impact: State cost of about $1.5 billion over 30 years to pay off both the principal and interest costs of the bonds.
YES
A yes vote on this measure means: The state could sell $750 million in general obligation bonds for these purposes.
NO
A no vote means: The state would not sell the $750 million in general obligation bonds proposed for these purposes.

Proposition 62
SUMMARY: Requires primary elections where voters may vote for any state or federal candidate regardless of party registration of voter or candidate. The two primary election candidates receiving most votes for an office would be listed on general election ballot. This proposition exempts presidential nominations.
YES
A yes vote means: All voters would receive the same primary election ballot for most state and federal offices.
NO
A no vote means: Voters would continue to receive primary election ballots based on political party
identification.

Proposition 65
SUMMARY: Requires voter approval for reduction of local fee/tax revenues. Permits suspension of state mandate if no state reimbursement to local government within 180 days after obligation determined. Fiscal Impact: Higher local government revenues than otherwise would have been the case, possibly in the billions of dollars, annually over time.
YES
A yes vote means: State authority over local government finances would be significantly restricted.
NO
A no vote on this measure means: The state could continue to make changes in local government.

Proposition 66
SUMMARY: Limits the ‘Three Strikes’ law to violent and/or serious felonies. Permits limited resentencing under new definitions. Increases punishment for specified sex crimes against children.
YES
A yes vote on this measure means: The current ‘Three Strikes’ law would be amended to require that a second- and third-strike offense be a serious or violent felony, instead of any felony.
NO
A no vote means: Current sentencing law would remain in effect. Offenders with one or more prior convictions for serious or violent felonies will receive longer sentences for the conviction of any new felony.

Proposition 67
SUMMARY: Increases telephone surcharge and allocates other funds for emergency room physicians, hospital emergency rooms, community clinics, emergency personnel training/equipment and 911 telephone system.
YES
A yes vote on this measure means: The state would impose a 3 percent emergency telephone surcharge, in addition to the existing surcharge, on bills for telephone services.
NO
A no vote means: The emergency telephone number surcharge would continue to be limited to 0.75 percent on bills for telephone services for calls made within the state.

Proposition 68
SUMMARY: Authorizes tribal compact amendments. Unless tribes accept, this proposition authorizes casino gaming for 16 nontribal establishments. Percentage of gaming revenues fund government services.
YES
A yes vote means: Slot machines would be authorized at specific racetracks and card rooms, unless all Indian tribes with existing compacts agree to certain terms within 90 days.
NO
A no vote means: Slot machines would not be authorized at racetracks and card rooms. Indian tribes would continue to be subject to current tribal-state gambling compacts.

Proposition 70
SUMMARY: Tribes must contribute percentage of net gaming income to state funds, in exchange for expanded, exclusive tribal casino gaming. Upon tribe’s request, the governor must execute 99-year compacts with them.
YES
A yes vote means: Tribes entering a new or amended tribal-state gambling compact would make payments to the state based on their gambling income.
NO
A no vote means: Tribes would continue to be subject to existing tribal-state gambling compacts, which require various types of payments to the state.

Proposition 71
SUMMARY: This measure allows the ‘California Institute for Regenerative Medicine’ to regulate and fund stem-cell research, giving constitutional right to conduct such research, and will create an oversight committee. Prohibits funding of human reproductive cloning research.
YES
A yes vote means: The state would establish an institute and authorize the issuance of $3 billion in state general obligation bonds for stem cell research.
NO
A no vote means: Stem cell research funding in California would depend upon actions by the state legislature and governor and other entities that provides funds.

Proposition 72
SUMMARY: A ‘Yes’ vote approves, and a ‘No’ vote rejects legislation requiring health care coverage for employees, as specified, working for large and medium employers.
YES
A yes vote on this measure means: Certain employers would be required to provide health coverage for the workers they employ and in some cases dependents.
NO
A no vote means: The state would continue to allow employers to choose whether to provide health insurance for their employees and dependents. The state would not establish a new program.