Bush Aware of Environmental Dangers

Last week, President Bush agreed to release federal disaster funds to help state and local governments recover from the effects of severe winter storms that literally eroded portions of western and northwest Alaska in late October.
Similar storms have devastated the region in the past decade. ‘In 1997, we lost 125 feet [of shoreline] in some places,’ said Transportation Director Tony Weyiouanna, who has been monitoring the erosion.
Michael D. Brown, under secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response, said Bush authorized the aid under a major disaster declaration following a review of FEMA’s analysis of the state’s request for federal assistance.
Across town, the Arctic Climate Impact Assessment team, with the exception of Arizona Sen. John McCain and Alaskan Sen. Ted Stevens, spoke before an absent committee.
The ACIA summarized their latest findings which proved to be no less than frightening.
Regardless of whether or not human activity has affected natural variability in the environment (neoconservatives are still deliberating), the arctic is warming.
Ice melting in Greenland is breaking all known records and a species of squid that live along the Baja coast are now game in Alaska.
Scientists who are not receiving paychecks from Karl Rove point to increasing global concentrations of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases.
A moderate scenario projects additional arctic warming of about four to seven degrees Celsius over the next 100 years. The report illustrates apocalyptic visions comparable to ‘The Day After Tommorrow.’
In order to reassure or completely freak the shit out of you, the Pentagon has been planning for such a catastrophe.
An internal document, which can be found at, http://www.grist.org/pdf/ AbruptClimateChange2003.pdf, kept secret by defense officials for some time, describes the implications of drastic environmental change and prescribes appropriate military action.
The document stated, ‘The United States turns inward, committing its resources to feeding its own population, shoring up its borders and managing the increasing global tension.