Cornered! A Weekly CD Review.

Although it’s safe to say that the ‘SpongeBob SquarePants Soundtrack’ hardly competes with famous soundtracks such as ‘Pulp Fiction,’ ‘Star Wars’ or ‘The Sound of Music,’ it’s not necessarily what you would expect from a movie based on the adventures of a sponge.
Of course, it does have typical cartoon-inspired songs such as the ‘SpongeBob SquarePants Theme’ in two versions, ‘The Goofy Goober Song,’ ‘Now That We’re Men’ and ‘The Best Day Ever,’ performed by SpongeBob himself, so if you’re not amused by the SpongeBob culture, it probably won’t convert you into a fan.
On the other hand, there are a few tracks that offer a less juvenile but still light-hearted alternative such as, ‘SpongeBob and Patrick Confront the Psychic Wall of Energy,’ one of the better songs on the album, which was written by The Flaming Lips.
A song by The Shins, ‘They’ll Soon Discover,’ which is reminiscent of the Beatles, is by far the best track on the CD.
For someone who has never seen the ‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ TV show or movie, some lyrics may be hard to understand. For example, one song entitled ‘Prince Paul’s Bubble Party’ by The Waikikis, Prince Paul and Wordsworth, describes one episode in which SpongeBob sells bubble-blowing lessons for 25 cents.
Bottom line: If you take this music too seriously you will undoubtedly be disappointed, but it would make a great gift for a little brother or sister who enjoys the ‘SpongeBob SquarePants Movie’ or TV show.