UCI Falls in Close Loss to SJSU

The UC Irvine Women’s Basketball team (0-1) displayed great energy in their 54-52 loss to the San Jose State Spartans (2-0) on Nov. 23 at the Bren Events Center.
UCI started the game well and ended the first half in the lead, 32-27. Junior guard Melissa Jacob did a great job by making a lot of passes in the first half, and both senior guard Courtney Ferguson and junior forward Lauren Yadon came on strong in shooting.
By the end of the first half, Yadon was leading the team with 12 points and six rebounds.
At the start of the second half, the Anteaters were in the lead 32-27, but their offensive line fell short and they suffered from too many turnovers.
‘There’s a lot of stuff we need to work on, like being more patient on offense,’ said Ferguson, who scored a total of 15 points for the night.
Ferguson displayed great hustle in the second half and made three three-point shots.
Freshman forward Kalee Davidson got UCI back in the lead 51-50, and Yadon made a penalty shot to change the score to 52-50.
With 2:56 left on the clock in the second half, San Jose State’s Jessica Kellogg tied the game 52-52 with her first field goal of the night.
San Jose State’s Lindsay Harris broke the tie with a penalty shot, now putting the Spartans in the lead 53-52. Yadon got a penalty shot with 1:51 left on the clock but missed.
The excitement rose in the last minute of the game, which ended with San Jose’s Harris getting another penalty shot to make the final score 54-52.
Yadon led UCI with a total of 18 points and 11 rebounds. However, it was not enough against the Spartans.
UCI Head Coach Mark Adams was not disappointed with the loss to San Jose State, a nonconference opponent, because ‘the effort was there. [The team needs] a better balance, [but] defense was pretty outstanding.’
‘All in all, we came out with a lot of intensity, the 13 of us who can play,’ said Yadon, and she is right.
The Anteaters played effectively, but their main flaw was their turnovers, which totaled 27 for the night.
The Anteaters’ first and only exhibition game against Love and Basketball on Nov. 20 was met with the same turnover problem.
The team’s offense fell short this evening, like it did for most of last year.
According to Adams, the freshmen on the team will be primarily for offense in an attempt to strengthen point production in that specific area of the game.
UCI has a superb defense, but the team just needs to work on their offense this season.
The Anteaters gave a solid performance in their season opener against the Spartans. UCI will now go on the road to play against Idaho State on Nov. 30th.