Random Thoughts

At the risk of stealing the title from the great economics writer and professor Thomas Sowell (whose columns are available on townhall.com), I submit to you the random thoughts on the passing scene.
Ashlee Simpson deserved her serenade of dislike at the Orange Bowl. Was her lack of talent a surprise to anyone?
So Barry Bonds didn’t know that he was taking steroids? Did his shrinking testicles, enlarged skull and 73-home run season not give him the slightest clue? Note to Barry, regarding your comment that no one will talk about Babe Ruth once you break his record: Regardless of how many home runs you hit, he will always be better, he will have done it in fewer at bats than you and he didn’t cheat. Why, you ask? Because he was just that much better than you.
On the same note, Sen. John McCain says that if baseball doesn’t clean up its act, Congress will. When will the government realize that every problem in the country doesn’t require their interference? Oh, yeah, I forgot how effective the government already is at enforcing drug laws.
On John Kerry’s presidential Web site, it noted that he saved two fellow soldiers while in Vietnam. This is most fascinating because the last time I checked, those in the Navy (like Kerry) were sailors, not soldiers. Kerry should be embarrassed that he either doesn’t know this, or doesn’t care to know this.
It seems as if it is easier for illegal aliens to enter this country from Mexico than it is for me board a plane to Phoenix.
It is interesting that Jan Egeland thinks that we don’t pay enough in taxes and therefore are stingy when it comes to disaster relief. He’s probably right, considering we were probably too busy contributing the money we didn’t pay in taxes to private charities that actually get aid to the victims, rather than sending money to the United Nations to get lost in the bureaucratic hierarchy. Not to mention the possibility of corruption. Oil for Food anyone?
I’ve often said that three things would improve UCI: a football team, an undergraduate business major and a name change to UC Newport Beach to show people how close we are to the beach, since once you set foot off the southern border of campus, you are in Newport. However, since Irvine gave this land to the University of California to come here and continue the tradition of excellence that the University of California is famous for, Irvine would probably insist that this sacrifice at least be rewarded with the prestige of the college wearing its name.
That said, at least Newport is nearby. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? All the controversy could have been avoided if the contract said the name must be ‘Anaheim Angels,’ and not tried to make it sound so poetic with the team name ‘shall contain the name Anaheim.’
Our parents, I mean legislators, up in Sacramento have come up with yet another feel-good gun law. They have outlawed all guns that have never committed a crime. More precisely, all guns over .50 caliber. These types of weapons weigh about 30 pounds and are obviously quite cumbersome and not easy to commit a crime with. Why is it that they continue to take action against nonexistent threats while leaving our borders wide open?
Finally, instead of raising taxes in California, our legislators have found a clever new way to bring in revenue: It is now a traffic violation to drive with one’s windshield wipers on without also activating one’s headlights. God forbid I’d ever want to clean my windshield on a sunny day! What correlation do windshield wipers and headlights have? Yes, perhaps it is more likely to be dark outside if it is raining; however, is it not already illegal to not have one’s headlights on when a police officer, highway patrolman or sheriff deems it necessary? Is this to say that if the sun is being blocked by rain clouds, making it dark in the middle of the day, I don’t have to put on my headlights if I also refuse to put on my windshield wipers?
Laws like this just go to show you how little these legislators think we are capable of making good decisions for ourselves.

Bill Petersen is a fifth-year political science major. You can contact him at wpeterse@uci.edu