Capitalism is Un-Christian

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is the most talked-about socialist in America, with the exception of Jesus Christ. Granted, John Lennon is the most listened to. Do you recognize their similarities? They are all murdered men whose messages are sanitized, repackaged and sold for profit. Interestingly, Judas betrayed Jesus and Jackson betrayed King. I am suspicious of the ‘cute’ Beatle because he sang a three-chord ditty entitled ‘Freedom’ at the Sept. 11 concert.
On the day we celebrated King’s birthday, the seemingly unimpeachable war criminal had nothing but words of praise for the great antiwar evangelist who hardly shunned the Communist Revolution in ‘Beyond Vietnam’ on April 4, 1967. On Coronation Day 2005, the ‘elected’ owner put his hand on a book containing four well-known biographies that present teachings more akin to the theories of socialism than capitalism. Is communism ‘shipwrecked,’ as he stated?
The imperialist neoconservatives fooled people into believing that the book containing many books encompasses one clear-cut theme. There are at least two. The first is Zionism, an ideology that George Walker ‘Texas Ranger’ enforces. The latter is compassion, something he utters. The selflessness exemplified in the New Testament seems less plausible in a system where disaster relief becomes a public relations opportunity.
The corporations that monopolize ‘free-market’ capitalism want us to think that they are rising to the occasion and are sensitive to the needs of humanity. Wall Street and especially the World Bank have not and will not heed the cries of human suffering. However, they have the ability to prevent malnutrition and diseases that kill 50,000 children every day according to a former ‘E.H.M.’
John Perkins wrote ‘Confessions of an Economic Hit Man’ as a means to clear his conscience, despite accepting a bribe for half a million dollars in the 1990s not to write the book. Gary Webb, formerly with the San Jose Mercury News, ‘committed suicide’ because he did not shower the Central Intelligence Agency with pleasantries (The New University has a print circulation of 10,000, so maybe I should just recommend the book without revealing too much [wink, wink]).
At this point, I feel I need to point out that China and Cuba are obviously not picturesque utopias. A world abounding with Christ-like people would no doubt be stateless.
In a sense, Jesus’ philosophical perspective resembled that of a tranquil anarchist. Yet I must request that you take this analysis with a grain of salt because tranquil anarchy is almost as oxymoronic as the Vatican’s ‘just war theory.’
Perhaps you are one of the millions of Americans suffering from any number of sociopolitical diseases spread by the likes of so-called Christians such as the late Sen. Joseph McCarthy, an infamous Cold War mythmaker. We need to separate myth from reality and give the discourse of democracy a historical perspective.
Karl Heinrich Marx was a 19th century German political philosopher and economist who founded modern communism with Fredrich Engels; he collaborated with him in the writing of the ‘Communist Manifesto’ in 1848 and enlarged it into a series of books, most notably the three-volume ‘Das Kapital.’ They promote a society in which the public owns all property; each person must work and receive pay according to their abilities and needs. Jesus told his followers to give up all of their possessions and serve the needs of others before themselves. In contrast, capitalism is an economic and political system through which private owners control the country’s trade and industry for profit.
Adam Smith, the ‘father of capitalism,’ was an 18th century Scottish economist and philosopher who advocated minimal state interference in economic matters and discredited mercantilism. Mercantilism is an economic theory that states that trade generates wealth and is stimulated by the accumulation of profitable means of protectionism.
Protectionism is an economic theory in which the entire community owns the means of production, distribution and exchange. Smith believed ‘every individual necessarily labours to render the annual revenue of the society as great as he can. He generally neither intends to promote the public interest, nor knows how much he is promoting it. He intends only his own gain.’ In stark opposition, Christ wanted to serve the needs of the people rather than make a profit.

Kevin Collins is a freelance writer. He can be reached at soundwavekali@yahoo.com