UCI’s Small Mistakes Takes Toll in Loss

The attempt made by the Anteaters (1-2) was more than notable; it was a strong string of good serves and intensity that captured each player. Yet, despite their strength and effort for the competition they could not pull out victorious. The Cougars of Brigham Young defeated the UC Irvine Anteaters 5-2 on Jan. 27.
‘They played better than last match. They just nickel and dimed themselves out of the game,’ said UCI Head Coach Steve Clark. ‘Small mistakes were made that can be fixed.’
The Cougars won the doubles point winning two out of the three matches. The point that was made for UCI was on the No. 1 court where the intensity between senior captain Brian Morton and Ryusuke Kashiwabara captivated the crowds as the men battled great serves and excellent returns by BYU. Morton and Kashiwabara played a strong match to defeat BYU’s Jose Lechuga and Nima Roshan, 8-6.
‘If you miss in doubles, at least you have the opportunity to make them play for it,’ said Clark.
Despite the loss in doubles, it must be said that junior Peter Surapol and sophomore Mustafa Ulkan exemplified true athletisim and excitement as they played a strong match, but were defeated on court three, 8-6. With UCI and BYU fighting for every singles match, the Anteaters did everything in their power to take the point for UCI.
‘They were energetic. We should have come out better. We just have to stay up for singles, and not score under what we are capable of doing,’ Clark said.
The points made in singles for UCI were made by Morton who defeated No. 82 Jeff Das 6-3, 7-6(5) in court one. Up-and-coming freshman Victor Lamm won his first collegiate match against Christian Hand, 1-6, 6-3, 6-3, on court three. Lamm’s lost the first set but came back to win the last two.
On court four, Anteater junior Olof Sjolund lost to the Couger’s james Ludlow in straight sets of 6-4, 6-1. Nima Roshan of BYU defeated Kashiwabara of UCI on court two, 6-2, 7-5 and Shane LaPorte of BYU defeated Surapol 6-1, 6-4 down on court five.