The Relationships We Share With the Sports We Love

Is the sport we play more like a best friend, boyfriend, girlfriend, foe or sibling?
Everyone plays a different sport, whether it is at a college or high school level, competitively or recreationally.
Well, as for me, I distinguish myself as a runner.
In high school I ran cross country and track, but now I only run to keep in shape. It’s my exercise of preference. Yet, I got to thinking about what running has meant to me in the past and present, and I wondered, ‘What relationship do I have with running?’
First off, my relationship with running is different because it’s unique. There are tons of sports and numerous people who play them. Of course, no one relationship is alike. They are all distinct in their own way.
For me, running has been my best friend, boyfriend, foe and even sibling.
I used to run with a team, but after moving to college I realized that it would be more of a one-woman game.
I no longer had my teammates to run side-by-side with. Instead I now have myself.
Like races where you’re against yourself and other competitors, I was back to running, but solely with myself.
While I’m running, my mind wanders to different subjects: school, friends, guys, parents, things I need to get done while still focusing on my footing, breathing and form.
Thoughts are random, but it’s the conversation I have with myself (in my head) when I’m running that feels like I’m talking to my best friend.
Nothing’s reserved and every topic is up for grabs. Running has been with me through my ups and downs.
Like a true friend, running knows what to expect from me and I to it.
It’s my haven, what I do when I need to escape the drama of the real world. It gives me comfort and is something I can always count on to be there for me.
Sometimes running is like a boyfriend. It’s like the person I look to in an emergency, the one who hears me out when I need to beef about something or someone. Yet, even though running may not know what to say or does in, it provides me with solace. And like a boyfriend, running can also be my worst enemy.
Running can defeat me mentally or physically. It knows my weaknesses and strengths, but I know how to conquer it.
I know its tricks and ploys. So I know exactly what’s ahead and what tactics I can use to make the most out of our battle.
My foe pushes me to my limits. It makes me run a race until I’m scraping for every last bit of energy I have to end with a bang. And maybe, in this sense, running is once again like my best friend … who, if I had to describe it to someone I know, would have to be my twin sister.
I probably experience almost every emotion when I run, more so in high school when races really mattered and my family was there to cheer me on. And if I looked next to me, there was my sister, whether we were on the track, running through the streets or at home where she constantly pushed and encouraged me when it came to running.
She believed and inspired me. In the end I’ve become a better person for it.
My relationship with running shares a lot of the same characteristics brought on by different people in my life. Sometimes one person can mean multiple things to us.
For instance, a significant other can become a best friend and is still someone we can get into fights with.
Or a sibling can be one of our closest friends who is, by nature, prone to fighting and arguing with us.
Still, it varies depending on what types of bonds people have with others. I guess in my case running is like my twin, although it could never take her place.
She, like running, will always be there for me. And both can get the better of me, but they make me stronger for it and I am a better person thanks to the struggles, experiences and good times I’ve had with her … and running.