W. Tennis Sweeps Past CSUF in Season Opener

The sun was shining, the wind was blowing, the Titans were, well, losing. The UC Irvine Women’s Tennis team season opener was finally here.
Even though the Anteaters (2-3) started off a bit shaky, they eventually brought the house down and dominated Cal State Fullerton with a 7-0 sweep on Feb. 4.
The aggressive duo of seniors Anna Bentzer and Hui Leow were on court one.
The two top players were having slight trouble at the onset of the match but after the fifth set, they proved instead to be double trouble.
Bentzer and Leow won the first match Friday afternoon, 8-4.
With a few intense rallies from junior Izabela Mijic and freshman Inna Agababian in court two, they were able to take out their Titan opponents and win another match for UCI, 8-3.
On court three, sophomore Jayme Hu and freshman Lisa Shih started off strong, winning the first few points without much difficulty and, in the end, won it all, 8-5.
The Titans did their best but the Anteaters were just too powerful. UCI came out on top and stole all three doubles matches from CSUF, earning them the doubles point.
Divide and conquer; the singles came out with a bang and the ladies of UCI proved to be unbeatable once again. UCI started off with a lot more assurance.
According to Leow, ‘We went out pretty confident. The doubles games really helped out my singles. It was an easy win.’
Leow proved to be invincible on court four and won both her sets, 6-2, 6-3.
On court one, Bentzer was up against one of the CSUF’s best, the undefeated Ruya Inalpulat.
From the beginning, the two athletes battled it out. Rally after rally, Bentzer answered back and fired away.
After Bentzer won the first exasperating and extensive set, winning came easy and Bentzer took it all home for UCI with two straight set wins of 6-1, 6-1.
UC Irvine Head Coach Mike Edles said, ‘It was a good win for Anna’ and a ‘good game [overall].’
On court five, with her fierce serves and long-court shots, freshman Becky Bernhard dominated all her sets and brought another win for the Anteaters, 6-1, 6-2.
Fellow Anteaters Agababian and freshman Jessica Broadfoot won both their matches, with Agababian finishing 6-3, 6-2 on court three, and Broadfoot winning 6-1, 6-4 on court six.
After all five of the singles matches ended, there was one more match to go.
It was between UCI’s Mijic and CSUF’s Gina Le on court two.
Mijic, who had just been named Big West Player of the Week for the first time, proved she earned that title.
An aggressive Titan, Le would not give up as she ran, jumped and screamed, while Mijic was calm, focused and showed great control in her game. Eventually though, Le ran out of gas. Mijic took the victory for UCI.
‘The girls played well,’ Edles said. ‘They started off shaky but in the end were real solid.’
There were four fresh new players starting that day and Edles remarked that, ‘they probably were a little bit nervous at first but in the end they all rose to the occasion.’
The Anteaters now hold a 2-3 record while the Titans fall to 0-4.