Sports in Brief

T&F Athletes Shine at Indoor Competition
Flagstaff, Ariz. – Feb. 12 – UC Irvine high jumpers Kimberly Harper, Orlisha Henlon and Danielle St. John took a three-way tie with 5-5 marks at the NAU Double Dual at Walkup Skydome Saturday night. The Anteaters 4x400m women’s relay team was triumphant in a time of 3:53:85, while Suzanne Purmort from the team went on to place second in the 800m with 2:24:99.
Although there were no men sponsored for the competition, some still competed including Storm Huie who won the 400m in 49.24, Kenny Vinh taking the 60m hurdles in 8.47 and Joe Lourenco who prevailed in the long jump with a 22-4 mark.

W. Water Polo Defeats No. 9 UCSB
Santa Barbara, Calif. – Feb. 12 – The UC Irvine Women’s Water Polo team outscored the Gauchos, 8-7 in a Mountain Pacific Sports Federation match.
The Anteaters took the first period with a 4-0 lead, but were tied 7-7 in the last 1:34 of the fourth period. With the assistance of an ejected UCSB player, UCI freshman defender Jessica Lewis was able to score and push UCI ahead to victory with a third straight match win. UCI’s next competes against CSULB on Feb. 19 at the Anteater Aquatics Complex.

W. B-Ball Can’t Hold Off UCR in Overtime
Riverside, Calif. – Feb. 12. – The UC Irvine Women’s Basketball team lost 81-72 against UCR in a Big West game. Although both teams were tied at halftime and again at the end of the fourth, the Anteaters were outscored on the glass and on the line to let the Highlanders run away with the lead.

M. Volleyball Shutout by CSULB
Long Beach, Calif. – Feb. 11 – The UC Irvine Men’s Volleyball team lost to No. 4 CSULB 3-0 in an MPSF match. Each set was close, but the Anteaters were not able to capitalize as the 49ers won in three straight sets of 30-27, 30-27, 30-23.
Sophomore outside hitter Jayson Jablonsky was named the MPSF Player of the Week and led the team with 14 kills.
Women’s Tennis Rained Out
Irvine, Calif. – Feb. 11 – The UC Irvine Women’s Tennis team was schedule to play Fresno State when the match was moved ahead one day because of the prospect of rain.
However, the game was halted during the singles matches on Thurs. Feb. 10 due to the rain and was set to resume on Fri. Feb. 11, but was later canceled.
The match will not be rescheduled. UCI’s next home game is on Saturday Feb. 19 against UC Santa Barbara at Anteater Tennis Stadium.