The Looming Cancellation of a NHL Season is Hard to Swallow

My world really doesn’t seem to make too much sense anymore. Why is this, you ask? Well, even if you didn’t ask, I’m going to tell you.
First off, it turns out my Filipino-Irish roommate is writing an article on Indian films, which to me for some reason is just weird.
Second, there has been more rain in the last two months then there has been in the last year and a half, which is completely fine since I love the rain. But the fact that it’s happening in Southern California is something I can’t comprehend.
Finally comes the most troubling of all: The National Hockey League is on a lockout which has caused the cancellation of hundreds of games this season, leaving fans like me in a sad yet bitter mood.
Let’s look at the main figures behind this lockout business. There’s good old NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman as well as the Players Association leader Bob Goodenow. Together they’re keeping everyone on a short leash by holding meetings to negotiate a settlement, which, if successful, would bring the league back on track.
However, their meetings are nothing but false hope for a season and a league that are already lost.
For those of you who don’t know, the lockout is due to a pending salary cap. The players don’t want one but the league managers do.
It’s easy to see where the dispute popped up. On one hand you have athletes who make millions a year and are accustomed to a certain lifestyle, and on the other you have a group of owners who want to take some of those millions and put it somewhere else in the league.
Personally, I could care less where the money goes as long as the league gets back on track. Then again, I don’t really support the idea of athletes getting millions of dollars to play a sport, so I guess I’m biased on this topic. There will be a noticeable decrease in each player’s salary if a cap is put into place, but most players will still have an income that’s over $1 million per season. With an income like that, I really don’t see why the Players Association is complaining. Well, I guess it’s just way too hard to downgrade from a multi-million-dollar mansion to one just worth a million.
Bettman and Goodenow’s negotiations have turned the NHL into a bad game of chess. With each move they make they’re doing nothing more than breaking down the kingdom that they’ve built over the years, and losing a countless number of fans in the process.
However, there’s more to think about when considering the effects of this lockout besides Bettman and Goodenow’s little game. Think about the actual players who are now out of work. Many have fled to Europe to play in the World Hockey League, but they are still getting paid less than they did last season.
Others who haven’t left are still working to conserve what they have in case the lockout does in fact cause the cancellation of the season.
What about the Stanley Cup? The Stanley Cup has been awarded to a team every year since 1919. With no solution to this lockout apparent, there’s a more than good chance that this 85-year-long tradition will be broken.
All I can ask is why this is happening to such a widely loved and popular game. OK, it might not be that widely loved here, but it is in Canada and you know those Canadians: They’re always right.
Other leagues have gone through problems similar to this in the past, but each time this has happened, the players and owners were able to reach an agreement and salvage a season. It looks like the NHL is the only league that will actually have a season or two cancelled because of it. It’s a tragedy, I tell you.
I’ll admit that I’m not one of those fans who sits on his couch with my eyes glued to the screen. I don’t really fit in with that type of fan. You know the type I’m talking about