HomeNewsNews in Brief

News in Brief

Alumni Association Names Honorees
The UC Irvine Alumni Association will be presenting 18 members of the UCI community with Lauds and Laurels Awards at a ceremony held on May 26.
The Extraordinarius Award, which is the ceremony’s highest honor, will be presented to Alberto Manetta. Manetta is a professor of obstetrics and gynecology and senior associate dean of the School of Medicine.
Among those honored are Patricia Beckman, who will be receiving the Outstanding Community Service award for her help in making UCI one of the nation’s top research universities, and Elizabeth Loftus, who will be receiving the Faculty Achievement award.
Possible Cougar Sighting Near UCI
On March 8 at about 6:45 p.m., a jogger spotted a large cat, possibly a mountain lion or cougar, sitting across from the open space preserve in the area of California Avenue and Gabrielino Avenue
The jogger left the area immediately and reported it to the UC Irvine Police Department. The animal was sighted from a distance of about 30-40 feet, but did not show aggressive behavior.
The police were unable to find the cougar, but advises the public not to feed animals, such as deer or raccoons, that could attract mountain lions and not to go hiking alone because UCI is bordered by a natural habitat of wildlife.