Cornered! A Weekly CD Review – ‘Leviathan’ by Mastodon.

I’d be remiss and in breach of my duties to the metal if I didn’t share the glories of Mastodon’s latest release entitled ‘Leviathan.’ These four lads from Atlanta throw down with vicious, unparalleled ferocity and for my money are the deserving bearers of a torch passed down through the ranks of Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Metallica and Slayer. Simply put, they are the reigning gods of metal, period.
The great thing about Mastodon is that unlike the mechanical, digitally edited metal recordings of many modern metal bands, ‘Leviathan,’ captures the raw sound of a true, backside-kicking band thriving on their own devices without the aid of computer enhancement. You get a strong sense that the aural experience of listening to the record is not far removed from that of the band’s live performance, which is pretty remarkable when considering the bands complexity. Rather than just laying into one groove and staying there, Mastodon goes on an intricate musical journey in every section of every song on the record.
Loosely inspired by Melville’s ‘Moby Dick,’ ‘Leviathan,’ opens with the snarling guitar riff that begins ‘Blood and Thunder,’ and the band bangs in on said riff like an unending train wreck that you couldn’t look away from even if you wanted to